Volunteer Intern African Union Advocacy at International Crisis Group
The International Crisis Group is looking for a full time volunteer intern to assist the Senior Advisor, African Union with related activities. This is a desk-based position that requires an interest in political conflict analysis, Africa’s continental institutions and current affairs issues in Africa.
Applicants must be available for a minimum of six months.
The volunteer intern is expected to:
- Track developments at the African Union (AU) particularly regarding conflicts that are relevant to Crisis Group’s work;
- Monitor and summarise official AU documents including relevant reports, statements and communiqués issued by the AU Commission Chairperson and the Peace and Security Council;
- Schedule appointments, coordinate events, and take meeting notes;
- Contribute to the research and preparation of Crisis Group publications by gathering information, fact-checking and assisting with editing;
- Research and draft talking points, briefing notes and communication materials;
- Attend meetings with diplomats, international organisations, academic institutes, think-tanks and NGOs with or on behalf of Crisis Group staff.
The position is primarily administrative in nature but offers an excellent opportunity to gain valuable experience in a high profile international NGO and to learn about conflict analysis, advocacy, country specific and thematic issues, as well as the African Union.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in international relations, conflict studies, African studies, political science or similar;
- Proven interest in and knowledge of Africa (understanding of the AU helpful);
- Verbal and written command of English (French proficiency a plus);
- Research and note taking skills;
- Knowledge of Crisis Group reports helpful;
- Administrative skills;
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office, email and internet applications;
- Organized, self-motivation and flexible, with an ability to deal confidently and swiftly with a variety of demanding tasks.
If interested, please apply by 31 March 2023.