Vacancies at UNICEF
Vacancies at UNICEF
UNICEF is the world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, Open Jobs
- Method of Application
Operations Specialist, NOC
How can you make a difference?
- Review monthly staff movement and location readiness for a smooth transition of staff from the HQEI Location in Nairobi-Kenya
- Contribute regular updates/inputs to the HQEI Project team’s communication and engagement actions, including roundup documents, responses to staff queries, and participation in Q&A sessions/focus-group discussions with staff
- Ensure staff recruitment and relocation are coordinated between HR, local operations, GSSC, and Division/Office
- Be Involved in detailed planning on the ground of:
- Legal coverage for incoming HQ staff
- Number of new HQ IP Staff functions and timing of the relocation
- Governance and management structures
- Admin, IT, security, and protocol support needs
- Workspace and budget requirements
- Staff and family well-being needs – including schooling
- Where UNICEF is already present in the location, preparation of existing teams/staff for HQs teams/staff presence
- Staff Association coverage
- Support the development of a Welcome Package for staff
- Engagement in the planning process and facilitating the change management process
- Support the provision of operational services and liaise with respective KCO and ESARO teams as needed
- Support the coordination of the Onboarding Committee and welcome HQEI staff in Nairobi
- Act as the contact person for HQ staff and Divisions for questions/answers and extra demand by HQEI
- Update the welcome guide, keep an eye on the tracker, support staff information sessions, special needs requests, set up staff association, informal networks, etc.
- Provide regularly updated information about HQEI to relevant KCO and RO teams in Nairobi
- Support collecting the HQ Divisions’ needs for the design of the HQ office, in collaboration with ESARO and KCO
- Coordination HQ staff installation in the new offices
- Support KCO/ESARO review and write-up on common services needs and act as a backup where needed
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An Advanced University Degree in one of the following areas is required: Business management; Financial management; Accounting; Public Finance; and related operations function (Supply Chain, Human Resources, Information Technology, International Business, Project management, etc.) or a full professional accounting designation (CA, ACA, ACCA, CPA, CIMA, CPFA, Expert Comptable) from an internationally recognized institute/body of accountancy with valid membership in good standing is required
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible professional experience, at the national and/or international level, is required, specifically in implementing organizational initiatives in one or more operations management areas including budget; financial management and reporting; facilities management; administration; supply and logistics management; information and communication technology; human resources, risk management
- Experience in working with corporate ERPs (Enterprise Resource Planning) and familiarity with Microsoft Office applications is required
- Work experience in an emergency duty station is highly desirable. Prior experience in the development sector or UN system/ international NGOs would be an asset. Experience in supporting successful client-oriented work units is an asset
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset
Deadline: 07 Jul 2023 E. Africa Standard Time
Adolescent Development Specialist, NOC – Readvertisement
How can you make a difference?
- Under the supervision of the Deputy Representative, the Specialist provides support to country office colleagues and internal and external partners and stakeholders throughout the programming processes by providing technical, administrative and operational support to ensure that adolescent development and participation and child rights established under the Convention on the Rights of the Child, international treaties/framework and UN intergovernmental bodies, are integrated in UNICEF’s advocacy, policies, programmes and humanitarian work
Support to programmes development and planning
- Update the situation analysis by conducting assessments to establish evidence-based data for UNICEF advocacy and development of policies, framework and programmes to promote adolescent development and participation in the country and for monitoring results on related programmes/projects
- Assess national/regional/international development priorities to identify opportunities and courses of action to enhance the delivery of services and achieve objectives on adolescent development and participation in the country
- Participate throughout the process of CO programme formulation, planning and preparation to provide input, advice and operational support on the integration of policies and frameworks that promote adolescent development and participation and to ensure that crosscutting issues such as gender, disabilities, the rights of minority and marginalized groups are considered and integrated within the country programmes and projects
- Establish specific goals, objectives, strategies and implementation plans for the adolescent development programmes/projects using results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM). Prepare relevant documentations for programme review and approval
- Work closely and collaboratively with colleagues and partners to discuss methodologies and to assess national priorities/competencies to ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results.
Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Plan and/or collaborate with internal and external partners to establish monitoring benchmarks, performance indicators and other UNICEF/UN system indicators and measurements to assess and strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of sustainable results on adolescent development programmes and projects
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and to determine required action/interventions to achieve results
- Prepare/assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in programme and management, identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals
- Actively monitor adolescent development programmes/projects through field visits, surveys and/or exchange of information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress, identify bottlenecks, and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution
- Monitor and verify the optimum/appropriate use of programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets) confirming compliance with organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability, integrity and ensuring timely reporting and liquidation of resources
- Prepare regular/mandated programme/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of programme progress
Technical and operational support to programme implementation
- Provide technical guidance and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and country office partners/donors on policies, practices and methodologies on adolescent development and participation to support programme management, implementation and delivery of results
- Participate in programme meetings including programme development and contingency planning to provide technical and operational information, advice and support
- Draft relevant policy papers, briefs and other strategic programme materials for management use, information and/or consideration
Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with relevant government counterparts, national stakeholders and global partners/allies/donors/academia through active networking, advocacy and effective communication to build capacity, exchange knowledge/expertise and to reinforce cooperation to achieve sustainable and broad results on adolescent development and participation initiatives
- Prepare communication and information materials for programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnerships/alliances and to ensure that adolescent development and participation programmes and initiatives are adequately resourced and supported
- Participate and/or represent UNICEF in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) discussions and planning on adolescent development related issues to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF planning and preparation of programmes/projects ensuring organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNDAF process
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Apply/introduce innovative approaches and good practices on adolescent development and participation to build the capacity of partners and stakeholders and to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable programme results
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark and implement best practices on adolescent development and participation. Assess, institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge learned
- Contribute to the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programmes and projects
- Organize and implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders to promote sustainable results on related programmes/projects.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree in one of the following fields is required: anthropology, psychology, sociology, education or another relevant technical field
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in social development planning and management in adolescent development related areas is required. Experience working in a developing country is considered as an asset. Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language (asset).
Deadline: 29 Jun 2023 E. Africa Standard Time
Operations Associate, G6
Purpose for the job:
- Under the supervision and guidance of the Chief Field Office, Lodwar, the Operations Associate is responsible for executing a broad variety of procedural and specialized administrative tasks for the respective section requiring in-depth knowledge of UNICEF administrative procedures, processes and policies.
- In addition, Staff member is predominantly accountable for applying a broad range of specialized administrative rules and procedures in the coordination of administrative support to the team served. Efficiently initiating, monitoring and ensuring the provision of administrative services allows the professional staff of the organization to focus on substantive core work. This may include supervisory responsibilities with accountability for the work of administrative assistants, temporary staff and/or consultants.
- Operations Associates represent the supervisor in initiating, following up on and resolving issues pertaining to administrative requests. External contacts include counterparts in international organizations, bi-lateral and multi-lateral institutions and national governments to organize meetings, workshops and conferences. Communications involve the exchange of information across the UNICEF at the most senior levels and externally to governing body representatives.
How can you make a difference?
Key functions, accountabilities, and related duties/tasks :
- Manage the admin and finance function of the zonal office. Negotiate contracts with local providers of services required by the office. This entails ensuring that all offices services including, telephones, photocopying machines and office equipment are well maintained and are running smoothly at all times. Arranging for adequate office space and furniture for staff members and office maintenance services in a timely fashion and supervising the office cleaning services. Overseeing the security of the office and ensuring that the office has adequate security for the entire buildings, property and staff. In this regard the staff members shall be the focal point for all security issues by liaising with the local UNDSS Field Officer on all security matters including Security Clearances. Supervise ancillary staff to ensure effective office maintenance and other related admin services
- Coordinate all Transport functions of the Office Including the supervision of the drivers and the maintenance of office vehicles. Liaise with transport assistant in Nairobi regarding all maintenance and repairs required. Check all logbooks on a regular basis to verify trips undertaken and paying particular attention to vehicle fuel consumption and any anomalies on the mileage covered per trip and report the same to the administrative officer in Nairobi.
- Coordinating all Travel requirements for in-coming and out-going staff members, consultants’ bookings for accommodation, arranging for Security Escort services.
- Manage office inventory and maintain up to date records on all office inventory in the prescribed format. Undertaking physical inventory of all office non-expendable property twice a year in April and October and send the status report on all office inventory to the Administrative Associate in Nairobi
- Responsible to the Finance Manager in Nairobi for cash functions in the office. Custodian for the office petty cash, facilitate payments, ensure adequacy of supporting documents and correct coding, issue payments against approved payment requests. Maintain records pertaining to the petty cash payments with support documents. Coordinate with Finance Section for timely replenishment of petty cash following the defined procedures.
- Prepares recurring reports as scheduled including the monthly expenditure reports, ensures timely closure of the monthly accounts, ensures required documents and reports are forwarded to the Finance section on a timely basis for on forwarding to HQ
- Provide guidance to staff on admin and finance related issues in line with the policies,
- Responsible for collecting invoices and filing documents for approval and thereafter processing in Push & Track. Upload electronic files and verifies results to destination system. Responds to client transaction status and other inquiries.
- Maintains and updates a system which monitors the absence of staff.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- Completion of secondary education is required, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the field of work.
- A minimum of six years of relevant professional experience in
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
Essential Skills for the role:
- Training and experience using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other software such as SharePoint; knowledge of integrated management information systems required.
- Knowledge of administrative policies and procedures.
- Organizational, planning, and prioritizing skills and abilities.
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with visitors.
- High sense of confidentiality, initiative, and good judgment.
- Ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural background.
- Ability to work in a team environment to achieve common goals and to provide guidance to more junior support staff.
Deadline: 03 Jul 2023 E. Africa Standard Time
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.