Vacancies at Kenya Red Cross Society
Vacancies at Kenya Red Cross Society
Kenya Red Cross is one of the many International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement societies around the world. The Kenya organisation was established in 1965, The Kenya Red Cross supports and runs a number of projects whilst raising awareness to the Kenyan public about the current issues or problems which may affect them.
Program Officer -Youth Excel
in the Youth Excel Program and conduct other Youth Excel related activities and tasks This activity is a continuation of the Youth Excel Issue-Based Collaborative Network as described and .
Key roles and responsibilities of the Program Officer:
- Support in planning and coordination of network strengthening activities in Kisumu County.
- Ensure the program is on schedule as per the approved work plans and timelines.
- Support a group of 10 youth-led/youth-serving organizations participants growth and development as necessary.
- Support review of the 10 youth-led/youth-serving organizations work plans and budgets and ensure their microgrants are approved and processed on time.
- Coordinate activities’ communications with the 10 organizations and the program core team.
- Manage work assignments, workloads and work schedules for the 10 youth-led/youth-serving organizations.
- Coordinate interactions/relationships between KRCS staff, organizations and other program stakeholders.
- Schedule, plan and organize program-related meetings and events with the support of the program team.
- Maintain activity records, reports, presentations and proposals.
- Collect and highlight necessary success stories with the support of the Communications personnel.
- Facilitate in person training to participants from the youth-led and youth-serving organizations during workshops.
- Mobilize participants to take part in the workshops, accountability meetings and any other activity.
- Provide support supervision to the youth led/ serving organizations during work apart sessions and attend their accountability meetings.
- Coordinate with the youth led/ serving organizations to ensure reports are submitted on time and necessary documentation is submitted to KRCS.
- Support logistics coordination for workshops and activities e.g., hotel bookings, purchase of stationery etc.
- Manage delivery of the program activities according to the work plan with the support of the Program Coordinator.
- Identify and mitigate potential risks by working closely with Protection Focal point person.
- Participate in Youth Excel program meetings, trainings and activities
- Participate in taskforce meetings and activities
- Any other responsibility and task as assigned by the supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree in any of the following disciplines: Development Studies, Sociology, Public Administration and Management, Social Sciences or in a related field from a recognized institution, and in-depth knowledge of the current youth development priorities in Kenya.
- 3-5 years experience in a similar or related position
- Demonstrated experience in youth development work particularly in Kisumu County and implementing projects within the development context.
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating and planning for workshops/trainings for different audiences including youth.
- Possess skills in proposal and report writing, project cycle management and participatory monitoring and evaluation of projects.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely and effectively with youth led/ youth serving organizations with a particular focus in Kisumu County.
- Proficient and experienced in planning, monitoring and reporting of project activities.
- Demonstrated experience in working with different state and non-state actors, stakeholders and partners in Kisumu County with a particular focus on private sector and government institutions.
- Good understanding of how youth networks operate in Kisumu County and have ideas of how to strengthen existing youth networks
- A good understanding of community work and development programming and effective project management.
- Experience working with youth-led and youth-serving organizations.
- Able to coordinate and network with partners to build synergies that enhance sustainability of the project outcomes.
- Sensitive and responsive to gender, ethnicity, disability and other social issues
- Participatory and team approach to work and behavior
- Excellent written and spoken English and Kiswahili.
- Able to provide timely, well written and analytical reports to the project team as required.
- Strong computer skills particularly Microsoft Office and data analysis packages.
- Self-motivated with a passion for youth development
- Possess a learning mindset, being keen to learn as well as share knowledge and new ideas around youth development.
- Application Procedure
Youth Climate Action Officer
Reporting to the National Youth Manager and technically working with the Climate Research Officer, the post-holder will provide direct assistance to Kenya Red Cross Youth (KRCY) at the head office in Nairobi. The Officer will support the development and implementation of our KRCS Youth and Climate Action strategy aimed at capacity building youth climate and climate change, supporting their advocacy roles and providing guidance for their local actions on climate change adaptation.
She/he will be based at the Kenya Red Cross Headquarters, in Nairobi with frequent travel to the field as necessary.
- Develop programs to build the capacity of youth to come up with initiatives that support climate change adaptation nationally
- Create platforms for youth to share knowledge and best practices on climate change adaptation, nationally and internationally
- Research on, and develop a wide range of climate action activities focusing on the different areas of climate change adaptation
- Inculcate positive behavior change among youth that support climate change adaptation
- Coordinating resource mobilization for climate change projects and other initiatives;
- Identify and support climate change champions in the communities through youth groups and youth-based organizations
- Map out stakeholders, partners and potential partners and co-create climate and environmental youth programs
- Collaborate with other units and departments to ensure that programs are created in a manner that supports the climate action agenda.
- Prepare reports of the status of youth and climate action in Kenya.
- Capture and support youth initiatives on climate change and adaptation
- Lead the Valuing Water Youth Journey Project as the Project Officer
- Additionally, the incumbent will lead the Valuing Water Youth Journey Initiative of the KRCS and Red Cross Red Crescent Climate Centre (RCCC) – a Youth Climate Action Project.
- Perform other roles that may be assigned to you by the line manager
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- Education background in Climate Change and Adaptation, Environmental Science or a related field.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A minimum of 2+ year of experience working for an organization in a relevant field, for example, working for/with Civil Societies Organization, youth-led/ youth-serving organizations, national or county government, international organizations or agencies
- Interest and expertise in international biodiversity or climate change policy
- Apprised with the current status of climate change in Kenya and the world
- Excellent multitasking skills
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Good team player
- Good time-management skills
- Great interpersonal, presentation and communication skills
- Open to receiving and incorporating feedback in their work
- Knowledge or experience of project management and relevant skills
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should apply strictly through to reach us not later than 14th April 2023; Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.