UNEP Job Vacancies To Apply Today
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the world’s environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the environment.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of the substantive field of work in general and of specific areas being supervised. Demonstrate an understanding of the links between policy development and implementation with experience from different sectors, combined with the ability to think strategically and to clearly articulate a strategic direction. Knowledge of environmental security and dimensions of conflict prevention, post-conflict interventions, and sustainable peace is desirable. Ability to produce reports and papers on technical issues and to review and edit the work of others. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Ability to apply UN rules, regulations, policies and guidelines in work situations. Ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- JUDGEMENT/DECISION MAKING: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before deciding; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, or environmental law, the natural sciences, the humanities, social sciences or related area is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in sustainable development, diplomacy and international relations is required.
- Experience in the preparation of high-level meetings and/or conferences is required.
- Experience in liaising with UN-external contractors is desirable.
- Experience in the greening of large UN events is desirable.
- Experience with the United Nations or similar organizations procurement processes is desirable.
- Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable”
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
Environmental Data Consultant (International)
Specific Tasks And Responsibilities
Under the direct guidance of the Head of the SDG and Environment Statistics Unit, of the Capacity Development and Innovation Branch of the Early Warning and Assessment Division of UNEP, the consultant will;
- Monitor the progress of activities under the DA14 project on Statistics and Data and update the SDGs page on the WESR website.
- Consolidate materials and undertake logistics for the development of progress reports under the DA14 project on Statistics and Data.
- Prepares digital outputs as required, e.g. draft background papers, analyses, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Master’s degree in environmental science is required. Data science, information science or a related field is required.
- A first-level university degree with two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- At least 2 years of experience in data analysis including experience with environmental SDG indicators data is required.
- English and French are the two working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this consultancy, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of French is desirable.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.