Underwriting Associate, Branch Operations at Britam,
Underwriting Associate, Branch Operations at Britam
Britam is a leading diversified financial services group, listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange. The group has interests across the Eastern and Southern Africa region, with operations in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, South Sudan, Mozambique and Malawi. The group offers a wide range of financial products and services in Insurance, Asset management,
Underwriting Associate, Branch Operations
- Assist in underwriting and risk assessment within the set standards of service to ensure quality and timely service.
- Responsible for delivering an exceptional customer experience at the Britam branch level and putting the needs of every customer at the heart of every decision making process.
- Review all applications for insurance – determine the profiles of risks presented to the company for insurance and assess their acceptability or otherwise.
- Prepare quotations as per authority matrix.
- Custodian of underwriting documents e.g.Comesa cards.
- Conduct Risk surveys for small risks as per authority matrix.
- Prepare and issue certificates and cover notes where necessary.
- Ensure timely preparation and dispatch of policy documents including valuation reports, debit, credit notes & endorsements and authorising them within agreed and set authority limits.
- Implement credit control policy and ensure that premiums are debited and collected as required.
- Ensure receipting of premium collections, daily banking as well as preparation of premium reports for all lines of business as applicable.
- Review and communicate renewal terms, ensure renewal notices go out on time and follow up renewals to ensure high retention rate.
- Conduct 1st level underwriting of new business /by carrying out completeness and accuracy checks to ensure data was captured accurately in the application and systems.
- Scanning and indexing of customer instructions.
- Receipting (cheques/standing orders/check offs) and posting payments in LOB system.
- Preparing Daily Premium reports.
- Advise Policy Administration on dishonoured cheques and write letters to customers regarding the same.
- Processing refunds/cancelled policies/deductions after maturity, claims and surrenders.
- Forward issued applications to registry.
- Hold briefing the event the customer service assistant is absent by performing that role/tasks.
- Delegated Authority: As per the approved Delegated Authority Matrix.
- Prepare quotations in collaborations with the CSE.
- Drive customer self service by encouraging all walk-in clients to sign up to the customer portal and offer necessary support.
- Ensure business retention by taking initiative to conserve cancellations and surrenders before processing customer instructions.
Knowledge, experience and qualifications required
- Bachelor’s degree (insurance option preferred).
- At least one year experience in the insurance industry.
Technical/ Functional competencies
- Knowledge of insurance concepts.
- Knowledge of underwriting processes and procedures.
- Technical competence in underwriting insurance risks.
- Knowledge of insurance regulatory requirements.
Leadership category responsibility framework (Core Competencies)
Emerging Leaders in Britam need to:
- Plan, direct and apply efficiencies and resources in order to optimise output and profitability against time, cost and team targets.
- Effectively communicate strategic and operational departmental goals and objectives to peers and others in order to ensure proper implementation.
- Ensure that department priorities are adhered to and effectively communicated.
- Ensure competent and effective people resources through appropriate coaching, development and people supervision as appropriate.
- Embody a high performance, proactive culture.
- Effectively ensure the adherence to key performance areas, deadlines and goals in order to optimise operational effectiveness;
- Effectively communicate resource needs, possible opportunities and achievements to management in order to aid them in their decision-making.
- Effectively set and monitor priorities and objectives for more junior staff.
- Understand and communicate objectives in relation to the larger organisational impact.
- Effectively disseminate knowledge within the correct context, towards subordinates as well as management.
- Appropriately model the company values while setting the pace and energy for delivering.
- Effectively manage and communicate change within the department in order to increase staff and process effectiveness.
- Provide access to accurate and consistent information and services across all channels.
- Ensure a seamless experience for clients.
- Improve service delivery for clients.
- Engage in continuous brand building to become the trusted partners to clients
Method of Application
- TalentintheCloud Company Hiring: Check Qualifications and How to Apply
- Internship and Job Openings at Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES)
- Latest Job Vacancies at Pwani University
- Jobs at World University Service of Canada
- Job Openings at Aga Khan University Hospital
- Latest Jobs at Impact Water Global
- Latest job at Tala (formerly InVenture)
- Latest Jobs at HRM Connection Ltd
- Latest Job Vacancies at World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF)
- HIAS new job opportunity