The Right Level Africa Jobs
The Right Level Africa Jobs
The Right Level Africa Jobs
The Right Level Africa Jobs
A joint venture by Pratham and J-PAL, the TaRL Africa team supports partners working to address the learning crisis in primary schools in Africa through the evidence-based TaRL approach. This new joint team consists of a central team that provides high-leverage support to governments and partners across the continent trying to scale the approach
- Open Jobs
- Method of Application
Measurement, Learning, and Evaluation (MLE) Associate
Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL) Africa seeks an MLE Associate to support the design and implementation of measurement and monitoring strategies for our TaRL programs across countries. The associate will work with partners and country teams to coordinate and streamline data collection; analyze data; and establish feedback, review and reporting structures. In addition to this, the associate will lead/ support nimble learning studies to unpack, adapt, and improve aspects of TaRL programming.
This role provides an excellent opportunity for individuals who are motivated to use data to improve the learning outcomes of children globally, especially Africa.
Major roles and responsibilities
Provide oversight to the country teams to develop a robust program measurement, monitoring and review strategy: An effective measurement, monitoring and review strategy is crucial for creating strong localized TaRL programs that are embedded within existing government systems. The MLE team works closely with the program and content teams to provide regular feedback to government and partners from TaRL implementation. They also build their capacity to understand and use data for immediate course corrections.
- Understand the program objectives and different stakeholder needs to support the country MLE associates and partners in designing tools/ processes for data collection, verification, mentoring, and review, and in building the capacity of government and TaRL Africa teams on data use.
- Support country teams on analyzing program data and sharing key insights with government stakeholders, partners and TaRL Africa Central team on the successes, challenges, lessons learnt and highlight areas that require urgent attention.
- Develop a strong understanding of governments’ existing measurement and monitoring systems in TaRL Africa’s directly supported countries and undertake efforts to embed TaRL data systems into the government systems.
- Regularly assess the technical capacity of country M&M associates and conduct workshops on data analysis, visualization, dissemination, and other technical aspects as necessary.
Lead/ Support scoping, designing, and testing nimble learning/ deep-dive study ideas: TaRL Africa believes in adaptive learning and course-correction of programs in the pursuit of making the TaRL programs more effective and owned by governments. In addition to rigorous research and evaluations to build on the already strong evidence for TaRL, we regularly conduct nimble learning studies to better unpack program challenges and identify ways to strengthen.
- Design pilot assessment and monitoring systems
- Oversee and support pilot implementation including training of stakeholders
- Provide contextual knowledge, make field plans to implement learning activities on the ground
- Train and supervise enumerators/ country teams on data collection
- Monitor pilot process and providing periodic reports;
- Analyze, report and disseminate pilot outcomes to government, partners and internal teams.
- Support the rigorous research activities as needed, including literature reviews,
- Creatively communicate program lessons and results with the TaRL community and more broadly (e.g., through blogs, articles, podcasts, newsletters).
- Keep abreast of government policies, recent initiatives/ programs in the countries directly supporting
- Support other tasks as assigned by the line manager
Education and Qualifications
- Minimum qualification: A Bachelor degree and 2 years of work experience as an analyst or similar positions with an analytical bent. Applicants from for-profit/ consulting background looking to switch to the social sector for creating impact are also welcome to apply.
- Excellent data analysis skills
- Ability to think analytically and critically, keeping the big picture in mind
- Experience working with data manipulation software, including data collection, analysis & visualization platforms (Required: Excel; Strongly preferred: Tableau, Power BI, Stata)
- Excellent communication skills in English, including writing, conversing, and presenting
- Self-starter with an attitude to get the job done
- Strong interpersonal skills with cross-cultural teams
- Passionate about improving children’s learning using data
- Willingness to travel frequently and flexibly within Africa, especially in remote rural areas
- Experience working in the development and/or the education sector in Africa
- Experience working with government departments
- Familiarity with French
- Previous experience of building data systems for similar mission-driven organisations
- Familiarity with econometric and program evaluation techniques
- Familiarity with national and regional learning assessments
- Strong preference for Kenyan Nationals
Deadline: 19th April 2023
Africa Executive & Administrative Associate
Summary of the Role
The position will provide executive support to the office of the Executive Director in the overall delivery of the TaRL Africa mandate, including acting as liaison for the activities of the Board of Directors of TaRL Africa.
The position will also support the Finance and Operations Director in coordinating the procurement and administration functions of TaRL Africa, to ensure adherence to timeliness, cost effectiveness, efficiency and effective management of goods and services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Executive support to the Executive Director (ED):
- Act as the point of contact for the ED with internal /external public. This includes, but not limited to receiving and directing visitors, handling telephone calls and inquiries, managing the ED’s daily schedule, screening, analyzing and preparing responses to correspondence and handling day-to-day public relations.
- Anticipate and prepare research and briefing papers in advance for presentations, assist in drafting subsequent correspondence, and making necessary follow-ups as needed
- Support in the review of documents drafted by others for signature and/or dissemination
- Manage and coordinate the ED’s daily calendar and official activities including scheduling meetings/appointments, coordinating and Executive travel and related logistics (e.g., visas, flights, accommodation, travel authorizations, etc.)
- In liaison with the ED, coordinate efficient organizational reporting functions, including 1:1 periodic check-in with direct reports
- Liaise with the ED to coordinate the planning and execution of the Board and sub-committee activities including meetings, board papers/minutes, agendas, reports, etc.
- Serve as rapporteur for the Board meetings and other meetings related to the ED as directed, track action items from the meetings and follow up as needed
- In consultation with the ED, follow up on invitations from partners and ensure TaRL Africa’s representation.
Support to Central office and the Senior Management Team:
- Manage the process of calling for briefings, meetings and checking on staff and stakeholders’ availability
- Support the ED in scheduling and coordinating regular SMT meetings as needed and guided
- Support SMT members with travel logistics including visa applications, flight bookings. Advance request and advance surrenders
Executive support to Country Offices:
- Manage information flow between the ED, donors, board members, country offices and other internal stakeholders
- Serve as the primary point of direct executive contact and liaison with other country and field offices, individuals and external organizations, and agencies on a range of specified issues
- Organize, prepare and facilitate inter-country meetings as required (e.g., Board virtual country tours)
- Assist the ED in responding to queries on projects and programs in Africa, or redirecting such queries as is appropriate
Administration and procurement:
- Support in development of procurement policies and compliance enforcement
- Coordinate procurement processes including effective management of RFQs, RFPs, bid analyses and evaluations, drafting procurement contracts and reviewing supplier deliverables
- Perform due diligence and vetting of suppliers and service providers
- Reviewing supplier /vendor contracts and service level agreements (SLAs) for approval as needed.
- Develop and maintain vendor database and asset register maintenance and tagging systems
- Ensure timely delivery of goods services as per the agreed terms and conditions, as well as invoicing and timely payment of bills
- Ensure compliance with procurement SOP’s
- Process LPO’s in the system and ensure same is delivered to contracted vendors
- Receive, review and process vendors invoice through the ERP
- Provide oversight and management of the movement of items in the stores
- Manage and coordinate all travel (local and international)-related matters, including liaison with travel agents, transporters, foreign missions for visas, accommodation /hotels etc.
- Management of the office lease/s and operational legal contracts.
- Ensure timely attendance and provision of all office requirements/supplies including equipment, furniture and fittings, office supplies and stationery, kitchen supplies IEC materials etc.
- Coordinate timely insurance (including renewals) of office fittings, fixtures and equipment and all other office equipment
- Ensure timely identification and attendance to any office/equipment repairs and maintenance needs
- Development of budgets for the office running costs and sharing with finance for consolidation
- Monitoring actuals against budget for all office related expenses
- Supervising the Administration Associate and office support outsourced service providers
- Any other responsibilities as may be assigned by the direct managers.
The EAO shall have a dual reporting function: to the Executive Director for Executive support functions and to the Finance and Operations Director on the procurement and administration duties.
Qualifications and experience:
- A University Degree in Business Administration, Project Management, Development Studies/International Development and or procurement fields from a recognized institution
- A Masters in Business Administration or Development Studies is an advantage
- Training in leadership or management course(s) in addition to the degree is desired
- At least five years’ work experience in a reputable organization in a similar or equivalent position
- Strong proven track record in working with Director level functions in public administration, development, and/or other related fields.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Proven track record in organizing Executive meetings at the executive/board level
- Experience in handling donor relations and event management will be an added advantage
- Meticulous organizational and prioritization competence, with attention to detail
- Proactive attitude and ability to take initiative and work independently
- High energy levels and emotional intelligence
- Ability to keep confidential information
- A good team player
- Strong interpersonal skills, outgoing personality, and ability to work independently and effectively under pressure and on strict deadlines in a multicultural setting
- Excellent knowledge of all computer applications
- Superior oral and written communication skills in English and other local languages
- Knowledge of French and/or any other foreign language is an added advantage
Deadline: 12th April 2023
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.