Latest Opportunities at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
Latest Opportunities at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
MÃ©decins sans frontiÃ¨res (MSF) or Doctors Without Borders, is an international humanitarian-aid non-governmental organization (NGO) and Nobel Peace Prize laureate, best known for its projects in war-torn regions and developing countries facing endemic diseases.
Epidemiology Activity Manager
Objective of the Position:
Defining, coordinating and monitoring the epidemiological activities, ensuring the development of appropriate methodology and the quality of studies according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to identify risk factors for diseases and to determine the optimal treatment approaches to clinical practice and the preventive medicine to be used in the missions.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Set up and/or maintain an alarm monitoring system for early warning related to outbreak prone diseases, malnutrition and conflict, investigate and verify alerts based on predefined scenarios or events, perform frequent analysis on the alerts identified.
- Perform horizon scanning and epidemic intelligence activities to feed the alarm monitoring system.
- Support the team to respond to emergencies.
- Lead and/or support health needs assessments and exploratory missions in collaboration with the emergency team.
- Perform outbreak investigations (lead and/or support the team) using the 10 steps in outbreak investigation as a guide including final report writing.
- Set up new or improve existing mission surveillance and monitoring systems and maintain them according to the mission needs and the new projects/interventions performed by the emergency team.
- Implement and maintain the intersectional Nutrition Surveillance System.
- Identify the need for, design and implement surveys or rapid assessments (e.g. vaccination, nutrition, mortality, etc.).
- In collaboration with the team, identify appropriate operational research questions and develop relevant Operational Research activities including protocol writing and submission to Ethics Committee, study implementation, analysis and scientific communication.
- Develop and/or implement appropriate epidemiological tools to support the above mentioned activities.
- Perform data cleaning and management, descriptive and advanced analysis, synthesis, regular and adhoc reporting and scientific communication.
- Interprete appropriately available data and information and provide relevant and timely evidence-based advise and recommendations to the operations to guide programmatic and response decisions, promote innovative thinking for new strategies and models of care.
- Train, coach or mentor other team members in epidemiological methods, data management, analysis and reporting when appropriate.
- Develop and execute the annual epidemiological activity plan with its respective budget.
- Perform networking: maintain and expand the current network of national public and academic institutions inlcuding the Kenyan Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Programme, attend revelant meetings and represent MSF when necessary (cluster meetings, etc.).
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Education: Essential medical or nursing related diploma; essential degree (or masters) in Epidemiology or Public Health with extensive training in statistics and epidemiology. Desirable diploma in Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Programme (FELTP; desirable specialization or training in tropical diseases or Public Health.
- Experience: Essential working experience of at least two years in epidemiological activities related jobs. Desirable working experience: in MSF or other INGO’s; in low and middle-income country(ries).
- Knowledge: Essential computer literacy (MS Office Suite) and an analytical/statistical software (Epi-Info, STATA, R, etc.). Desirable knowledge of DHIS2, QGIS, Osmand, PowerBI, KoboCollect, ODK, RedCap/ A reference manager software (Zotero, Mendeley, etc.).
- Skills/Competences: Strategic; Strong Leadership Skills; Proven People Management; Behavioural Flexibility; Commitment to MSF Principles; Result Oriented; Culturally Sensitive; Team player; Planning and Organization.
Application deadline: 24th April/2023.
Supervising the daily logistics activities and providing maintenance to the MSF equipment, premises, facilities and infrastructures, according to MSF standards and protocols in order to maintain the facilities in perfect conditions and collaborate in the development of the mission.
- Monitoring maintenance activities of infrastructures, management of non-medical stocks and equipment according to MSF standards
- Ensuring the check and follow-up of facilities under the line manager’s supervision through daily visits to the facilities and reporting any anomalies or problems, evaluation of the rehabilitation needs and following up minor building rehabilitation work according to supervisor’s instructions; checking that premises observe security norms and monitoring the consumption of mechanical and electrical vehicles/machines/devices
- Planning together with the line manager the required checks and maintenance activities of energy systems/set-up according to MSF standards
- Coordinating and leading the logistics team under his/her responsibility which includes daily supervision, monitoring of the quality of work and the definition of each person’s task, drawing up their working schedules; organizing and leading team meetings; participating in the recruitment of team personnel and attending logistics meetings and accounting for his activities
- Ensuring the vehicle fleet maintenance which includes planning and overseeing timely preventive and curative maintenance of all project vehicles according to MSF standards and instructing and monitoring drivers on correct driving habits and standard checks
- Managing and following up orders which includes collecting logistics orders coming from different departments or health facilities; drawing up and following up orders according to the procedures in force; providing technical support to the storekeeper, makes local purchases according to MSF supply procedures and ensures reception conditions of freight or arriving material as well as the organization and setting up of materials before its shipment
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Supervise all WATSAN activities within the project KE-128 and act as a referent to all departments. Support Medical and Logistics activities in medical facilities where MSF works.
- Ensuring the maintenance and repair of technical equipment in the project to guarantee adequate running of Watsan activities.
- Guarantee compliance with MSF standards regarding WATSAN and Planetary health in all MSF facilities and also in outreach activities.
- Participating in data collection and reporting as required
- Responsible for WATSAN stock, inventory, and store. This includes stock cards, international orders, periodic orders, and all necessary steps to guarantee an adequate inventory according to the project’s needs.
- Conduct all WATSAN and Planetary Health trainings as required
- Ensuring the day-to-day implementation and administration of assigned constructionrelated activities at project level, including but not limited to, blueprint designs, drawings, BoQs, tendering processes, supervision of works, technical support to Log Manager, and at project level.
- Ensuring the maintenance and repair of premises in the project to guarantee adequate and safe working spaces.
- Identify, draw and follow a work plan ensuring that the MSF procedures and standards are followed by contractors to guarantee the operational quality of the project and the inherit safety of the buildings themselves.
- Cold chain management – to prepare the passive cold chain equipment for respecting conditioning of icepacks for transportation, as well as active cold chain equipment should be maintained.
- Biomedical equipment management – all equipment should be maintained based on chronogram, the technical protocols are well respected, users to be trained.
- Energy – Solar system should be maintained accordance to maintenance protocols, the consumption of power is monitored and report on monthly basis. All the technical requirement/ recommendation to be addressed to Log Manager in appropriate time frame.
- Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning- ensure providing suitable temperature and humidity conditions for medicines. Follow the maintenance chronogram.
- Technical diploma, essential specialization in water and sanitation Other technical diploma in logistics desirable
- At least one year in MSF or 2 years in a similar post out of MSF
- At least 2 years experience in technical aspects of water and sanitation works
- Essential: Experience in working with AYPs
- English and Kiswahili
- Desirable computer literacy
- People Management and Development
- Commitment to MSF Principles
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
Application deadline: 20th April/2023
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Use the emails(s) below to apply
Applicants MUST be Kenyan nationals and have the necessary statutory documents (ID, NSSF, NHIF and KRA PIN certificate). Candidates meeting the above qualifications are requested to ONLY submit a motivation letter and an updated curriculum vitae as a single file (in pdf-format), mentioning on the subject email line “Epidemiology Activity Manager”, to:
The HR Coordinator
Medecins Sans Frontieres Belgium (Kenya)