Jobs at UN-Habitat
Jobs at UN-Habitat
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the UN agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
Junior Urban Planner
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The consultant will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Provide technical expertise to the UPIMC Cameroon team in the finalization of multi-sectoral spatial profiles providing a city/neighbourhood-wide overview and multi-scalar assessment of displaced communities
- Proofread and edit outputs, ensuring Spatial Settlement Profiling and UN-Habitat standards are met
- Provide technical expertise to the UPIMC Cameroon team in the identification of suitable pilot areas within the supported cities with all relevant stakeholders and priorities agreed in line with Sustainable Development Goals
- Development of technical conclusions and strategic spatial recommendations
- Utilization of tools to refine local priorities with key stakeholders
- Stakeholder validation of conclusions and recommendations for pilot areas
- Provide technical expertise to the UPIMC Cameroon team to carry out preparation and reporting of trainings, events, exchanges for local authorities and other stakeholders
- Prepare briefing notes, presentations, and technical materials for trainings and events
- Prepare minutes and reports from trainings and events carried, to be synthesized
- Work with the UPIMC Cameroon team to roll out data management systems, knowledge, and lessons learnt reports as well as conduct project evaluation and reporting.
- A first-level university degree in Architecture, Urban Development, and Urban Planning, or a related field is required.
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience in the field of urban development and planning (and/or related fields) is required;
- Experience working on issues related to migration and displacement is required;
- Working knowledge and understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (and their monitoring/evaluation) and of the New Urban Agenda is desirable;
- Knowledge in GIS is an asset.
- Fluency in English and French, written and verbal, is required.
Gender and Land Consultant
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to assist with data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics or a related field is required.
- A first level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is an advantage.
- A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in project/programme management, administration or related area is required.
- Experience in implementing environmental programmes or projects is desirable.
- Experience with UN system, governmental or non-governmental institutions implementing projects/programmes addressing plastic pollution is desirable.
- Prior experience in inter-governmental environmental processes is desirable.
- One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable (none if successful YPP or P-1 with a related degree).
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.