Job Opportunities at Root Capital,
Job Opportunities at Root Capital
Root Capital is an agricultural impact investor that grows rural prosperity in poor, environmentally vulnerable places in Africa and Latin America by lending capital, delivering financial training, and strengthening market connections for small and growing agricultural businesses.
- Open Jobs
- Method of Application
The Portfolio Manager, together with the Root Capital team, is responsible for the following activities in East Africa: actively work to identify potential borrowers; proactively make contact with loan leads and provide information on Root Capital’s credit services. Analyze loan applicants using rigorous financial, environmental, and social criteria; present loan analysis to Root Capital’s internal and external credit committees for decision; close loans, including ensuring complete documentation; monitor existing loans to ensure timely repayment; and assist in coordinating training and technical assistance on financial management to selected candidates and clients.
Business Development (20%)
- Developing pipeline of qualified loan candidates in East Africa where Root Capital is present. Developing networks of referrals, including value chain actors, technical assistance providers, and trade associations. Presenting Root Capital’s credit offerings to and invite loan applications from qualified businesses
- Assessing client’s credit and advisory needs and recommending appropriate mix of Root Capital services.
- Actively managing and maintaining a pipeline of loan opportunities.
- Partnership development and management for collaboration and business generation
Underwriting and loan closing (30%), with support from the Nairobi-based Credit Analyst
- Collecting information about loan applicants as specified by Root Capital’s credit policies.
- Ensuring that all proposed loans meet Root Capital’s criteria for credit quality and security
- Performing due diligence to verify client information, including conducting site visits and management interviews.
- Conduct financial, operational and management analysis of applicant companies, working with the credit analyst in Nairobi.
- Working closely with Credit Administration in relation to transactions involving third party lenders. Communicating and negotiating terms as required.
- Preparing credit memos, presenting analysis, and making credit recommendations to Root Capital’s credit committees for decision-making, following Root Capital’s credit underwriting policies and procedures.
- Applying Root Capital’s social and environmental impact criteria. Supporting Root Capital’s portfolio servicing personnel to close loans, including ensuring proper documentation.
Client Relationship Management (30%), with support from the Nairobi-based Credit Analyst
- Monitoring active loans, working with the credit analyst, to analyze client performance, track compliance with covenants and reporting requirements, and develop risk ratings.
- Leading communication with Root Capital clients to address identified deficiencies in active loans. In heightened risk situations, collaborate with Risk Manager to devise and implement a collections strategy.
- Customer Service management, facilitating and coordinating with Credit Admin and Treasury for all loan servicing needs, resolving customer issues as they arise.
- Ensuring credit analyst has the information, resources, tools, and support to be effective and motivated.
Social and Environmental (S&E) Champion (10%)
- Provide feedback on new or revised S&E due diligence tools.
- Be part of the team to overhaul Root Capital’s S&E metrics and data collection tools (the S&E Scorecards, SEMs, and Expected Impact Rating), in response from feedback from the Champions and others (via the Credit Process Review Survey)
- In collaboration with S& E team to provide virtual S&E trainings for Credit and Risk staff
Advisory Services (10%)
- Collaborating with the Advisory Services Manager in Nairobi to address financial management weaknesses of prospective and existing clients as necessary by facilitating training provision through qualified local consultants
- Helping to develop a training plan, and work with local trainers to ensure effective implementation.
Performing other relevant duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation, and presentation skills.
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience and proven track record in agricultural, SME finance, Commercial/ development Banking or Financial institutional environment.
- University degree in Business management, Accounting, Finance, Statistics, Economics, or any other relevant field from a recognized university
- Strong Credit Proposal Underwriting, Financial Analysis and Business Analysis skills.
- Able to work under pressure, establish and maintain deadlines and can coordinate easily with multiple people across the organization.
- Strong experience with Microsoft Word and Excel is necessary.
- Strong interest in the field of socially impact investing.
- Passionate about supporting the advancement of Root Capital’s mission of growing prosperity in rural communities in Africa.
- Flexible to travel within rural areas of East and Southern Africa.
- Excellent communication skills in English and fluent in Kiswahili language.
- Authorized to work in Kenya.
Strategy Operations Associate
The Strategy Operations Associate will support Root Capital’s Strategy team in developing, executing, and monitoring our current and future strategic plans. Through knowledge management, content development, and administrative activities, the Strategy Operations Associate will work across the organization to ensure that colleagues on the Client Services and Leadership teams have the tools they need to continue growing the organization.
A successful candidate for this position will be an early-career professional with attention to detail and a commitment to learning. They will be passionate about Root Capital’s mission to grow rural prosperity and build the resilience of farming families around the world. A successful candidate might also have experience in strategic planning or knowledge management processes from another organization.
Knowledge Management – 50%
- Maintain a repository of relevant and user-friendly documentation regarding the strategy and learning agenda for Root Capital colleagues
- Coordinate the maintenance of both internal and external departmental resources, which may include presentations, databases, digital libraries, written reports, visual dashboards, or other resources as requested
- Serve as the main point of contact from other teams for data requests related to impact numbers and strategic targets
- Working with Senior Strategy Analyst, provide information related to strategic targets and plans to the External Affairs team during the concept and proposal writing stages of relevant donor engagement
- Support the Senior Strategy Analyst in monitoring progress against the organization-wide learning agenda and in regular goal setting related to the learning agenda
- Occasionally attend webinars and meetings on behalf of other team members and take detailed notes
Strategy Synthesis and Content Development – 20%
- Conduct desk research and synthesize inputs from internal and external stakeholders on areas of strategic importance
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative analyses, as requested, to support internal questions related to strategic priorities and the learning agenda
- Develop and maintain resources for onboarding internal stakeholders to Root Capital’s strategy
Administrative and Budget Support – 30%
- Support the Chief Strategy Officer in facilitating the setting of goals within the Strategy Department and tracking progress against those goals
- Coordinate Strategy team meetings, assisting with scheduling, setting agendas, note taking, and follow up
- Schedule and support preparation of Strategy team presentations, such as organizational webinars
- Serve as departmental budget manager, conducting monthly budget reviews, highlighting budget variances with team leadership, and collecting inputs for annual planning
- Support Director-level team members with expense reporting and other administrative tasks as needed
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills in English and Spanish; Please specify your level of proficiency in each language in your cover letter or resume.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field (Economics, Monitoring & Evaluation, English, Social Sciences, etc.)
- Attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills, especially those required for working in an international or cross-cultural environment
- Proven analytical and research skills in an academic or action-oriented environment
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to complete work within established time frames, as well as the ability to prioritize across competing work demands
- Humility and a mindset focused on growth and learning
- Self-starter with ability to flexibly manage multiple tasks in a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment
- Willingness to travel 1-2 times per year
- Service-oriented mindset with the ability to proactively and creatively identify and address program needs
- Commitment to Root Capital’s mission
- Must be authorized to work in Costa Rica, Kenya, or Peru
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience in knowledge management or strategic planning
- Experience with Salesforce and/or Tableau
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation processes and best practices
- Experience monitoring budgets and project plans
Business Development Officer
The BDO will carry out research to support Root Capital in broadening its addressable market and securing customer loyalty. Research will focus on the following topics:
- Market sizing and opportunity assessment: The BDO will conduct (or contract research for, or participate in broader teams) in-depth and insightful research that clarifies current market opportunities
- Support competitor analysis: The BDO will collect information about the offerings and value proposition of local and international competitors.
- Support Voice of the Client Survey: Analyze information from clients in order to understand client satisfaction
- Participation in the Country Updates: The BDO will update master country strategic plans in order to inform Root Capital about priorities and emerging opportunities at the regional level in the existing countries.
- Keep updated strategic information for regional portfolio development. Maintain an updated catalog of prioritized value chains and a list of partners/stakeholders.
- Systematizes strategic information for portfolio development. Maintain an updated catalog of enterprises in prioritized value chains, also keeps an updated list of stakeholder/partners.
Actions for pipeline development
The BDO will contribute to the development of the new portfolio by the identification of qualified prospective clients through different initiatives; also BDOs make sure that the pipeline of leads is updated.
- Conduct Lead Pre-Assessments: analyze new leads and facilitate the introduction of candidates with desirable profiles to Root Capital’s Advisory team or loan officers, providing background information and supporting an efficient response time.
- Pipeline management: track the lead generation activities of the regional team and measure efficacy of our networking, campaigns, and events. Maintain updated leads record in SF. Conduct analysis of the pipeline in order to identify new opportunities for the portfolio.
- Lead cultivation and client management follow-up: coordinate regular follow-up meetings, ensuring the meetings are in the calendar, an agenda is drawn and report shared to participants
- Organize Introductory Workshops: collaborate with Root Capital’s Advisory function to design, promote, and execute financial management workshops to introduce Root Capital to potential clients and prepare them to manage credit.
Marketing and Communications
The BDO will work closely with the Communications Team in order to improve customer service and develop partnerships with strategic stakeholders. The BDO will:
- Provide inputs to the Communications Team about marketing priorities for marketing materials and the communication strategy for each region and prioritized stakeholders. Provide feedback about marketing materials and collateral and support the process of generating marketing materials in the region
- Participate in Marketing Campaigns: prioritize and launch new marketing campaigns in cooperation with the Communications and Regional teams.
- Event coordination support: the BDO should facilitate the coordination of the team members in the region of the most important events for portfolio development.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum 5 years work experience in agricultural finance, financial services market research or sales, agricultural value chain development, business development services, or a related field.
- Bachelor in Agribusiness Management or business related degree.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with rural SMEs in a developing country context, preferably with involvement in business’ financial management in the role of Finance Manager, Lender, Financial Advisor, etc.
- Experience conducting value chain analysis and/or market research in the rural sector.
- Experience with initiatives for customer success.
- Ability to think creatively and critically to solve problems and collaborate to integrate diverse stakeholder needs and perspectives.
- Ability to prioritize and execute multiple tasks.
- Willingness to travel nationally/ internationally up to one-quarter of the time.
- Fluency in English and the local language in his/her location of hire, and the patience to communicate with non-native speakers of each is required.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.