Job Opportunities and Internship at UNEP
Job Opportunities and Internship at UNEP
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the world’s environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the environment.
- Open Jobs
- Method of Application
Intern -Programme Support Assistant (2 Positions)
The internship is for six (6) months. The Internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Under the guidance of the Partnership Coordinator and the Communication Coordinator of the UN Decade, the intern will support the UN Decade on Ecosystems Restoration core team in undertaking the following activities:
- Support in the establishment and management of partnerships for the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration (e.g. due diligence processes, developing tool kits and guidelines, partner communication channels);
- Assist with the organization of internal and external meetings and outreach events, developing necessary background materials, and report writing;
- Support the day-to-day communication and official correspondence of the UN Decade core team;
- Support the day-to-day management and regular quality control of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration’s website: www.decade on restoration.org
- Assist with compiling and distributing the UN Decade’s monthly newsletter;
- Support the coordination of translation needs and translation capacity for UN Decade communication materials;
In addition, the interns will
- Provide administrative, project management, and information management support;
- Carry out other duties on a need’s basis.
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Payment: The internship is home-based, full time and unpaid. Costs of travel and accommodation, as well as living expenses, are the responsibility of interns or their sponsoring institutions.
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree;
- Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Insurance: The United Nations accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during an internship. Therefore, candidates for the internship must show proof of valid regular as well as major medical insurance coverage.
Internship Agreements: Applicants, when selected, will be required to sign the “UNEP/UNON/UN-Habitat Internship Agreement”. Interns must keep confidential and cannot publish any information obtained during the course of the internship, except with the explicit authorization of the United Nations Environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) established in 1972, is the voice for the environment within the United Nations system. UNEP acts as a catalyst, advocate, educator and facilitator to promote the wise use and sustainable development of the global environment. Its mandate is to be the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimensions of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UNEP’s Industry and Economy Division addresses environmental issues at global and regional levels, provides leadership and encourages partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing and enabling nations and people to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations. Industry and Economy Division also works with many partners, including Member States, to advance the organization’s global goals as well as national efforts to transition to a low-carbon, green economy.
Within the Industry and Economy Division, the Resources and Markets Branch is focused on resource efficiency, inclusive green economy, and circularity. It leads the UNEP Green Economy Initiative and the Partnership for Action on Green Economy, One Planet Network, International Resource Panel, Global Opportunities for Sustainable Development Goals (GO4SDGs) and many other initiatives. All these aims to shift national economies on to a more sustainable path, in which jobs and output growth are driven by increased investment in green sectors, and by a switch of consumers’ preferences towards environmentally friendly goods and services.
GO4SDGs initiative is an accelerator of the SDGs, SDG12 and SDG8. GO4SDGs focuses one 3 main action areas: supporting governments to strengthen policy coherence; 2) support small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to increase capacities and access for financing innovation and circularity; and empower youth to amplify their voices and embrace sustainable lifestyles. As part of this work, GO4SDGs is supporting policies and initiatives to advance the transition to a circular economy at the regional level, including in Latin America and the Caribbean, Africa, Europe and Central Asia, West Asia and Asia Pacific.
GO4SDGs is looking for a communications expert, to support the plan, develop, and implement effective communications and outreach strategies and activities for GO4SDGs, using the full range of modern communication tools, including social media and digital publishing.
The consultant will drive the overall communication strategy, including branding and visual identity of GO4SDGs within the Resources and Markets Branch. The objective of the consultancy is to lead the operational implementation of the GO4SDGs communication strategy – its vision and messaging-, in close cooperation with GGKP and other GO4SDGs partners, donors and in close cooperation with the regional officers. The consultant will plan, develop, and implement effective communications and outreach strategies to support GO4SDGs branding and messaging priorities, using the full range of modern communication tools, including social media and digital publishing.
- Revise and update the GO4SDGs communication strategy and key messages, and update and/or produce new communications materials and tools for GO4SDGs, including brochure, flyers, blogs, videos, etc., targeting donors, partners, and stakeholders.
- Monitor and analyze the effectiveness of communication activities and channels, including social media and web analytics, and adjust communication strategies as needed.
- Work closely with GO4SDGs Programme Manager and other relevant staff to create high-quality content (written, visual, and multimedia) for a variety of communication channels, including the GO4SDGs website, social media platforms, newsletters, reports, and other communication materials.
- Provide content, regular updates for website(s) developed and uploaded and maintenance secured (deliver on: drafting and editing of text, design of look-and-feel, coordination with partners, functioning of technical setting, provision of highlights).
- Manage the GO4SDGs network and database of internal and external partners supporting communications and outreach work available and actively engaged (identify opportunities, encourage outreach, link to other platforms and websites).
- Development of the bi-monthly newsletter of GO4SDGs in close cooperation with the regional and global partners and maintain the GO4SDGs database updated.
- Management regularly updated on communications and messaging work under the project(s)/initiative(s) (deliver on: writing, editing, designing, laying out and proofreading of communication products).
- Development of templates, common features, coordination with editors, layout, proofreading and quality assurance of publications. Review and/or develop brand use and style guidelines to create a strong and impactful visual identity for GO4SDGs. Training and guidance provided to staff members of project(s)/initiative(s) on brand use and style guidelines.
- Strategic inputs to planning documents on communications, messaging and branding related aspects provided and inputs into overall communication processes secured.
- An advanced degree in Communications, Marketing, International Relations or a related field. A first level university degree combined with two additional years of relevant experience will substitute the requirement for an advanced degree.
- At least 5 years of proven professional experience designing, producing, and publishing of marketing and messaging collateral through development of digital (graphic design) initiatives. Proven professional experience in content development and report writing in English related to development issues, environment, and sustainability.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.