The Microsoft Africa Research Institute (MARI), is a first of its kind research institute, closely combining foundational research, with product innovation, engineering, and design to create the technologies of the future. Our mission is to understand, build and deploy innovative cloud, ML and AI technologies which not only address core opportunities in Africa and contribute to solving local challenges at scale, but which contribute to creating a more productive future of work, health, society, and sustainability globally.
The MARI team is looking for a Software Engineering Intern to contribute to the development of a smooth and competitive end-to-end customer experience. They will work with existing Microsoft services to build and improve cross-platform mobile prototypes for customers starting with Africa. This internship will be full time and located in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Contribute to the development of a high-quality mobile application that utilizes the capabilities of large language models.
- Integrate language models into larger systems and work on cloud infrastructure to manage large-scale deployment and serving of the model.
- Implement high quality code for reusability, testing, and improved performance for usability and interactivity.
- System design through well-defined interfaces across multiple components, leveraging research to deliver a seamless mobile experience
- Participate in testing & validating models to ensure they are functioning correctly and meeting performance requirements
- Support the development of best practices and guidelines for deploying and managing language models.
- Currently pursuing a master’s or PhD degree in Computer Science or related field
- Strong programming skills in at least one of the following: Python, C++, Typescript or Java.
- Experience with NLP and language models
- Experience building mobile and/or web applications with associated standard framework familiarity
- Experience developing and deploying services on cloud computing platforms such as Azure, AWS (Amazon Web Services) or GCP (Google Cloud Platform)
- Solid problem-solving, debugging and collaborative skills with ability to write high-quality, maintainable code
- Understanding of Large Language Models (LLMs) & related technologies
- Passion for staying up to date with the latest advancements in AI & Machine learning
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.