Internship and Job Openings at United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP),
Internship and Job Openings at United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the world’s environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the environment.
- Open Jobs
- Intern – Public Information, I
Interns are not financially remunerated by the United Nations. Costs and arrangements for travel, visas, accommodation and living expenses are the responsibility of interns or their sponsoring institutions.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Digital Strategy and Content Client Services Sections the interns will:
- Research, compile, draft and edit basic information for use in the preparation and production of social media and web content, often under tight deadlines.
- Produce and edit visual content.
- Monitor analyze statistics related to digital content.
- Gather social media and web content at special events (film screenings, concerts, exhibits, etc.).
- Assist in the creation of original content for digital platforms.
- Attend meetings as an observer.
- Manage meeting agendas and draft meeting notes.
- Create presentations and training curricula.
- Carry out research tasks and provide inputs into digital strategy planning and activities.
- Assists with special projects as assigned.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors’ language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; Offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; Promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; Takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; Takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; Is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree.
- Studies in communications, information science, computer science, information systems, media studies, journalism, or related field.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications (Microsoft Office).
- Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter.
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include a willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
Closing: 17 March, 2023
Environment Affairs Officer
This position is located in the Operations and Risk Management Section which focuses on operations and risk management within CSD at the Nairobi duty station.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Operations and Risk Management Section, the Environmental Affairs Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Policy and Guidance:
- Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Support CSD in implementing UNEP Environmental Management System (EMS) and implementing internal environmental policy and in identifying needs for drafting new or for modifying relevant specific guidance.
- Provide guidance on travel and programs to reduce travel emissions.
- Undertakes survey initiatives, designs data collection tools, reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Delivery of Guidance on Emissions Reductions to UNEP headquarters and regional offices.
- Management of UNEP Environmental Management System (EMS) and High Level Steering Committee:
- Manage the environmental activities and coordinates team towards the achievement of objectives.
- Complete the UNEP annual environmental inventory.
- Identify the achievements of the UNEP EMS cycle for each of the five (5) environmental aspects, specifically: climate/energy, water, waste, staff sensitization, and sustainable procurement.
- Manage the Steering Committee Meetings: agenda, compilation of presentations, logistics and communication with members; draft meeting minutes and reports.
- Compile supporting documentation that can help discussions.
- Respond to technical queries in liaison with the relevant team experts.
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget).
- Finalise and present the EMS report for senior management inclusive of recommendations to accelerate UNEP’s internal sustainability efforts.
- Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
- Awareness and Training/ Mainstreaming:
- Promote awareness on environmental issues.
- Undertakes outreach activities, conducts training workshops, seminars, makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Outreach to regional offices, assist them in implementing emissions reduction measures and report back to the Steering Committee.
- Manage sustainability aspects in the UN reform offices and assist other offices when needed including for Business Operations Strategy (BOS).
- Coordination and Partner Relations:
- Liaise on environmental issues with local authorities and relevant United Nations bodies and agencies, as well as regional organisations and diplomatic community when relevant.
- As required, support other UN agencies in reaching their sustainability targets, including providing trainings and advising on EMS plans and providing technical expertise when requested.
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change. This includes managing projects related to the enhancement of UNEP’s remote meetings culture.
- Ensures that the section maintain high-quality standards and provides client-oriented services that are innovative, effective and efficient.
- Fosters teamwork and communication among staff in the section and across organizational boundaries.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to sustainable development and environment. Ability to perform a broad range of functions related to general aspects of environment management and evaluation including conceptual and analytical skills and the ability to understand technical documents and review valuation reports. Ability to apply knowledge of various United Nations administrative, financial and human resources rules and regulations in work situations. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, finance, accounting, law or related area is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Additional university level or technical qualification in environmental management and related areas is desirable.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the environmental management or related field with a national government/administration, a large firm or an international organization or related field is required.
Experience Working With Microsoft Office Package Is Required.
- Work experience with procedures of Environmental Sustainability including evaluation and oversight is desirable.
- Work experience with drafting reports and guidance documents/policies/standard operating procedures is desirable.
- Work experience in providing training on subject matter such as environmental data and/or environmental risk assessment is desirable.
- Experience in project planning is desirable.
- Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
Closing: 15 April, 2023
How to apply
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.