How to Write a Cover Letter?
Writing a cover letter means it is like allowing your job application to wear good clothes. You always think that your interview suit has to be the best and similarly even your cover letter has to be the best. It is always a good practice to include a cover letter with your job application because it can allow you to create a good impression in front of an employer. The cover letter can give you a chance to write your thoughts in writing and communicate your ideas.
The cover letter can complement your resume very well. If this letter is with you, then it can allow you to give the polished appearance in an interview. Understand one thing, that the cover letter should not be the duplicate copy of your resume. It needs to have that finishing stroke which can allow you to create a good impression in front of an employer.
Are you submitting your resume for different posts in the different companies? If yes, then ensure that you draft different cover letters for all the resume.
Here are the few things that you can include in your cover letter:
- In your cover letter, you need to mention the job position for which you are applying.
- Inquire about the skills and experience required to get a particular post and then compare it with your skills and experience. Match your skills and add those required skills in your cover letter.
- Write the cover letter in such a way that it can encourage the reader to further read your resume.
- Include call to action in the end of your cover letter so that it can compel an interviewer to call you for an interview.
How long should a Cover letter be?
Not more than one page! Your cover letter should be short, simple and appealing at the same time. Basically, in such a letter you can include the summary of your resume. It is always a good idea to customize your cover letter, depending on the job position you are applying for. Don’t make use of the same kind of cover letter for all your resumes. Your cover letter should showcase that you are aware of the job duties and responsibilities. Add your skills and abilities that match the needs of an organization.
In order to keep your cover letter short and simple, it is essential for you to understand the few ways to write a letter:
To whom you are addressing this letter
Strictly say no to the common way of addressing such a letter like “To Whom It May Concern”. It requires you to put some effort to find out whom to address your letter but it is worth taking some pain. If you come through a job application via any kind of advertisement, then it can become easy for you to find the name of an employer. While addressing the letter, it is important for you to not make use of the first name of the addressee. You can make use of “Mr.” or “Ms.”.
Inquire more about the job
Try to talk to the person to whom you are planning to address your cover letter. After getting in touch with that person, you can ask the following questions:
- Can I know more about the job position?
- Can you tell me the ideal candidate for a particular job position?
- What is the job description?
Getting answers to the above-mentioned questions can make it easy for you to prepare the cover letter.
Inquire about the company
In order to make a tailor-made cover letter, it is important for you to know details about the company and their working conditions. Try to find the information about the company by going online. If the company, where you are planning to apply has its own website then browse it thoroughly to know the important company details.
What to include in a cover letter?
Here are the few important things that need to be included in your cover letter:
- Include your name and contact details but in such a letter there is no need to include your postal address. It is advisable to include your contact details like email address or telephone number.
- Include the name of the person to whom you are writing this kind of a letter. While including the name, you can also consider including the name of the company and contact details of the addressee.
- In the beginning of the cover letter, you need to mention the job that you are applying for. For instance, you can write “I am writing to apply for…”
- Include your skills but ensure that they are relevant in comparison to the job requirements. You can also include your experience f working in a particular field.
- Provide a small summary that signifies, why you are the correct candidate for a particular job.
- Include the sentence at the end of the letter which states that the reader should get in touch with you. In other words, you should include a call to action.
What NOT to include in a cover letter?
Few things that should not be the part of your cover letter like:
- Say no to a typo and factual errors and for this, it is important for you to double-check your letter.
- Strictly in a cover letter, you are not allowed to copy and paste your resume. Keep cover letter short and give other brief details in your resume.
- In every sentence, don’t make use of the letter “I”.
- Don’t mention details about other job application in your cover letter.
- It is advisable to not make use of sexiest salutation like, “Gentlemen”.
- Don’t give a boring introduction in the first paragraph.
- Always send a copy of your cover letter and not the original cover letter.
- Don’t depend on an employer to take action on its own, but request an employer to take an action.
- Say not to uncomplicated sentence structure.
- Avoid negative phrases in your cover letter.
- Don’t make use of the action verbs.