Graduate Trainee Opportunities at Turnkey Africa Kenya
Turnkey Africa is a leading Pan-African insurance technology and services provider. We develop, supply and manage end-to-end insurance business software solutions and services for the insurance industry. Turnkey’s flagship product, TurnQuest Insurance Suite, is one of the most dynamic products in the market providing a comprehensive and integrated set
Intern System Engineer
- We are looking for Intern System Engineers to join our ICT Team. You should have high level skills in, critical thinking, analytical, strong communication and interpersonal skills, attention to detail, problem solving, methodical approach to work and the ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Have the Ability to absorb complex information and communicate effectively at all levels to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Commitment to Turnkey Africa’s values of Service Excellence, Integrity, Team, Continuous Improvement, Accountability, Fulfillment and Fun with ability to demonstrate those positively and proactively to customers, employees, management, and/or partners in everyday performance and interactions.
What You’ll Own
- As an Intern Systems Engineer with a knack for troubleshooting and problem solving, you will be responsible for monitoring our environments, servers, and applications for health, performance and security.
- You will work with our talented team of Software Engineers to decide how to best create meaningful outcomes for our end users.
- Develop a flexible infrastructure to promote Developer self-service, while promoting continuity across our overall environment.
- Design, implement, maintain, secure, and scale core shared infrastructure, environments and servers.
- Development of tools and systems to support Developer self-service.
- Server administration.
- Maintaining a pulse on emerging technologies and discovering hidden opportunities in our environment.
- Use technical expertise and experience to evaluate industry technologies and assess relevance.
- Collaborate with Product Teams to research and address technical needs to the roadmap and develop new solutions.
- Maintain and improve standards of Operational Excellence.
- Ensure redundancy and resilience of infrastructure and services.
- Championing of continual improvement in the areas of reliability and performance.
- Forecast and assess reliability risks.
- Ensure all shared infrastructure is configuration managed
Experience You’ll Need
- A successful candidate will have experience in key areas such as DevOps (Jenkins Pipelines, Gerrit), Database Migrations (Flyway), Linux System Administration, Cloud Ops (AWS, Oracle Cloud), Infrastructure as Code (Terraform, Cloud Formation), and Configuration Management (Salt Stack).
- Systems administration skills, especially with Linux Operating Systems.
- Strong administration of Nginx, Weblogic, Iptables, Load Balancers.
- Strong knowledge of network security and performance.
- Knowledge of compliance frameworks (PCI, SOX, SOC 2, ISO 27001).
- Strong scripting proficiency in bash (shell), Python, and/or other languages.
- Database administration background in Oracle, Postgres, MySQL, and MSSQL.
- Strong understanding of Dev/Ops mentality and tools.
- Ability to quickly analyze and comprehend new or unfamiliar technologies or ideas.
- Experience with Kubernetes, Docker and Kafka a plus.
- Linux – Ubuntu LTS, CentOS 7, Oracle Linux.
- Windows – Server 2012 R2, 2016, Core.
- Tools – Jdeveloper, Jira, Jenkins, Gerrit, Elastic Stack, Oracle Cloud CLI, AWS CLI.
- Services – Apache HTTPD, Nginx, IIS, Docker, Kafka, Zookeeper, Zuul.
- Oracle Cloud – Java Cloud, Database Cloud.
- Data Stores – Oracle, Postgres, MySQL, MSSQL, Elasticsearch.
- Application Servers – Glassfish, Weblogic and Tomcat.
- Other – Zendesk,
Languages In Use Here That You May Help Support
Software Engineer – Internship
Your Skills And Qualifications
- Demonstrated proficiency with Agile software development principles.
- Ability to openly propose and defend technical solutions
- Strong collaboration and communicating skills
- Strong computer science foundations
- Strong analytical skills and great attention to detail
- You have strong computer science fundamentals (data structures, algorithms, software design, to name a few)
- Software application development skills
- A strong knowledge of databases such as Oracle, MYSQL and Postgres and experience in relational database design will be an added advantage
- Proficiency with Java Enterprise Applications (e.g. Spring Core, Spring Batch, Spring Boot, SOAP, REST, MQ Series, Hibernate, JPA etc…)
- Familiar with GIT, Maven, Jenkins, and UNIX scripting.
- Familiarity with Unit Testing, UML, Design Patterns, Object Oriented Design, MVC patterns.
- Familiarity with software engineering practices such as OOP, Design Patterns
- Familiarity with Java frameworks like spring, spring security, Hibernate.
- Ability to effectively communicate your work with both technical and non-technical peers.
- A passion for cloud technology, API, and and Micro Services Architectures
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.