Girl Effect Opportunities
Girl Effect Opportunities
Girl Effect is a non-profit working with girls to change their lives, empowering them to navigate the pivotal time of adolescence, so they are enabled to live a healthy life, participate in school, and prepare for their future financially.
- Open Jobs
- Method of Application
Terms of Reference: Illustrator (Individual Consultant)
Scope of Work
We envision two rounds of content development. A first round where content will be drafted and tested with adolescent girls and young women and a second round where content will be refined for the final minimal viable prototype.
- Develop a set of fun, engaging and youthful illustrations that bring to life our digital / technology-based prototype concepts to life, including via basic wireframes.
- Illustrate concepts by designing rough layouts of art and copy regarding arrangement, size, type, style, and related aesthetic concepts.
- Use rough sketches/layouts for discussion and coordination with the Girl Effect team to further refine and prepare final designs for prototyping.
- Present drafts to internal teams and key stakeholders. Revise and iterate based on team feedback.
- Take part in brainstorming sessions and workshops with our creative team to draft, design and understand the insights from our prototype concept build and testing.
- Mobile and user-friendly for the technical context of our user.
- All our content should be viewable on low-end devices. Understanding the challenges of designing for low-bandwidth environments and low-end phones would be favourable.
Who You Are
- Experience creating illustrations for various media such as comics, storyboards, posters, etc. Bonus if you have experience creating illustrations for health campaigns.
- Ability to work in 2D and/or 3D to model out and create mock-ups for selected concepts.
- Ability to deliver a clear message in a simple, straightforward, and non-judgmental manner with a fun and youthful style.
- An effective communicator in Swahili and English.
- A fun and youthful – but authoritative – presentation style that will engage young people but also helps reassure them.
- Passionate about making a positive difference in the lives of young women and girls.
- Proven ability to be flexible within a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Experience in health-related content/Behavior change content production in the field of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights and Economic Empowerment would be a massive bonus.
- Basic safeguarding and digital safeguarding knowledge are a plus.
Terms of Reference: Graphic Designer (Individual Consultant)
We’re looking for a graphic designer who will work with our Create team to design content for our digital channels and products in Kenya. The consultant will design visuals in static, GIF, motion, and illustrative formats.
- Develop an intimate understanding of our brand message and tone developed by Girl Effect’s brand development agency.
- Transform and piece together photos, texts and illustrations. Copies, vectors and images will be provided.
- Design posts in different formats; static, GIF, illustrations and motion graphics where appropriate.
- Work closely with the Create team in effectively communicating each post. This will include revising copies to fit imagery and selecting the best format in relation to the messaging.
- Learn and consistently apply Girl Effect’s editorial policies and values, production standards, and safeguarding policies.
- Immediately report any editorial or safeguarding concerns to Girl Effect’s Content Director, Africa.
- Create work that is fun, engaging, youthful and bold. The work should show an understanding of global youth trends and the vibrant youth cultures within our market.
- Mobile and user-friendly for the technical context of our user. All our content should be viewable on low-end devices. An understanding of the challenges of designing for low-bandwidth environments and low-end phones would be favorable.
- Upon acceptance of each design or concept, the graphic designer will provide GE with a packaged Adobe Illustrator/InDesign/Project file, and GE will retain all intellectual property rights.
The consultant will provide deliverables per the scope of work. This will include the following:
- Work within brand guidelines to create layouts reinforcing GEs’ style and voice through our visual touch points.
- Designs will be grouped by topic areas and/or audiences and cater to various regions and cultural contexts in Kenya.
- Illustrates concepts by designing rough layouts of art and copy regarding arrangement, size, type, style, and related aesthetic concepts.
- Use rough sketches/layouts for discussion and coordination with the Content Team.
- Use Adobe Creative Suite to prepare aesthetic designs for clients.
- Develop an understanding of different design collaterals like social media posts, landing pages, ads, microsites, emailers, etc.
- Creating and delivering graphic designs for various platforms and media.
- Coming up with Unique ideas and Design Concepts according to the brief.
Who You Are
- 3+ years of professional visual design experience
- Deep understanding of graphic design principles, strong visual communications skills and basic knowledge of UI/UX
- Strong sense of photographic and illustrated poster design, creative storytelling, art direction, user experience, motion, and marketing and possess ideation skills that stretch across various communication media.
- You have experience in creating assets for youth brands, especially girls. Any experience in health or behavior change content is a plus.
- Ability to thrive as a collaborator/co-creator – willing to shape ideas as well as build on the ideas of others
- Good sense of typography and layout aesthetics
- Excellent working knowledge of design tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and Figma and a good understanding of Adobe Creative Suite
- Passionate about making a positive difference in the lives of young women and girls
- Proven ability to be flexible within a fast-paced, changing environment
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.