Entry Job at British High Commission Nairobi,
Entry Job at British High Commission Nairobi
The British High Commission in Nairobi is the diplomatic mission of the United Kingdom in Nairobi. It is located in the Upper Hill area of Nairobi.The British High Commission in Kenya maintains and develops relations between the UK and Kenya.We provide services to British nationals living in an…
Main purpose of job:
The Furnishings Assistant will be responsible for the safe delivery, collection and moving of furniture and accessories within the office and the large residential Estate. The individual will support the Furnishings Team Driver when work demands require extra support in the movement of goods around the estate via van and canter. They will be responsible for the cleaning of properties before a new tenant moves in and general upkeep and cleaning of the furnishings stores.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
- Delivering of furniture and stationery around the British High Commission office, including setting up of meeting rooms as per enquiry (internal request system) details.
- Periodic driving of furniture canter and/or minibus with goods to BHC properties around Nairobi; taking care to ensure no damage is caused to the goods in transit.
- Delivering, moving, arranging and cleaning of furniture for official residential properties. Ensuring that care is taken while moving furniture and white goods. At all times recording/bar coding items as and when they leave/return. Including recording delivery/removal notes at all times.
- Deep cleaning and furnishing properties as per Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office guidance taking care of all H&S procedures.
- Preparation, delivery and collection of domestic float for both office and residences.
- Routine maintenance of the furnishings stores and surrounding areas ensuring they are orderly, clean and free from hazards.
- Working as part of a team in preparing properties for occupation.
- Reporting back to the furnishings supervisor any issues or items damaged missing from properties
- Assisting other teams in the Mission with any heavy lifting, moves on an as need basis
- Deputising for the Furnishings Team Leader on a rotational basis with other Furnishing Assistants during periods of absence.
- Assist on the furnishings duties as requested
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- KCSE Certificate
- Good team player skills
- Attention to detail and initiative, as well as good customer service skills
- Proficient written and spoken English
- Heavy lifting capability (up to 45Kg)
- Certificate of good conduct of less than 3 months
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Prior experience working in a warehouse or store room
- Valid BCE Driving Licence with 3 years’ experience driving a canter
- Making Effective Decisions, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Working Together