Driver at Church World Service,
Driver at Church World Service
Church World Service (CWS) was founded in 1946 and is a cooperative ministry of 37 Christian denominations and communions, providing sustainable self-help, development, disaster relief, and refugee assistance around the world.
This position is primarily responsible for driving and maintaining CWS/RSC Africa vehicles to complete assigned errands on behalf of the organization
- Drives CWS/RSC Africa motor vehicles to complete assigned duties.
- Cleans and cares for official CWS/RSC Africa vehicles. Conducts regular checks of vehicles to ensure that they are mechanically sound and in good working order and reports any problems noted to the Property Supervisor.
- Provides safe transportation to meetings and other destinations for CWS/RSC Africa staff and visitors on official business.
- Posts and collects mail, weighs and affixes the correct amount of stamps on letters and packages.
- Assists in the safe banking of CWS/RSC Africa checks and cash as well as replenishment of petty cash.
- Maintains accurate records of deliveries made to other offices in the CWS/RSC Africa delivery book.
- Performs general clerical duties as may be assigned and which may include photocopying and packing supplies for field team travel.
- Facilitates the processing of work permits and alien registration certificates for expatriate staff and the processing of visas for CWS/RSC Africa staff proceeding on circuit rides and any other official travel.
- Repairs minor mechanical problems on the CWS/RSC Africa motor vehicles after confirming the same with the Property Supervisor.
- Obtains quotations and makes simple purchases on behalf of the office and as per instructions by the Property Supervisor or the Property Manager.
- Records each and every trip made in the mileage book.
- Ensures that the fuel level in each vehicle does not go below half tank.
- Performs other duties, which are developed and assigned in order to improve the operations of the CWS/RSC Africa office.
- Facilitates statutory payments and other utilities payments.
- Ensure relevant vehicle documents are up to date and well displayed which include inspection stickers, insurance certificates, speed governor stickers and any other.
- Checks and confirms all required equipment in the vehicle are in good working condition; first aid kit, tools, jerk and handle, wheel spanner, spare wheel, torch etc
- Operates CWS/RSC Africa motor vehicles with absolute observance of CWS/RSC traffic protocols and the government traffic rules.
- Keeps tabs with security advisories at all times.
- Four years driving experience
- Strong computer skills, in particular Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook required
- Working knowledge of basic motor vehicle mechanics.
- Good working knowledge of Nairobi routes and the surrounding areas.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong verbal and written English language skills
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
Education & Certifications:
- High School certificate required.
- B and C Category driving license
- Training on Defensive driving
- Manage large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities.
- Maintain the integrity of official records;
- Analyse and solve complex problems and make sound decisions;
- Work with minimal supervision
- Maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail;
- Work independently and contribute to overall operations of RSC Africa;
- Actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).
- Strong English communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required.