Current Openings at The Pharo Foundation
Current Openings at The Pharo Foundation
The Pharo Foundation (the ‘’Foundation”) is a privately-funded entrepreneurial organisation that runs philanthropic programmes as well as for-profit social enterprises. The vision of the Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa. The mission is to achieve this vision by investing in the human and physical capital of Africa,
Research and Evaluation Lead
The Research and Evaluation Lead (“RE Lead”) is a senior position in the Research and Evaluation (“RE”) Department. Reporting directly to the Chief Research and Evaluation Officer (“CREO”), the RE Lead will be primarily responsible for executing strategic priorities, managing the day-to-day tasks of the research, monitoring, and evaluation staff, improving communications within the team, and will have broad oversight across various Foundation programmes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Broadly, the RE Lead will play a critical role in building an integrated, efficient, and impactful global RE department.
- Coordinate Country Representatives, Directors, and other key management, in the design and implementation of the next generation of impact-oriented Foundation programmes.
- Design and oversee impact evaluations of the Foundation’s current and future programmes.
- Draft presentations and programme/research summaries for both internal and external audiences.
- Occasionally represent the Foundation to external stakeholders and partners.
- Day-to-day decision-making, programme management, and initiative implementation.
- Assist the CREO in developing and overseeing the operating budget for RE activities.
- Manage and oversee the recruitment and training of RE staff members across multiple countries.
- Establish or update the Foundation’s internal guidelines for data collection and impact evaluation.
- Determine appropriate timelines, staffing, and budgetary needs for each initiative or programme; ensure that progress is on target; and identify/resolve any barriers that may arise.
- Help lead cross-functional internal meetings and strategic discussions.
- Willing to travel across the region, as required by the RE department.
- Superior execution skills — an ability to take novel ideas, break them down into next steps, and then ensure that each step is implemented in a precise, efficient, and timely manner.
- Excellent communication, writing, and presentation skills — including an ability to summarise key discussions, decisions, experiences, and observations into a succinct set of points and instructions to drive progress forward, as well as present in front of large audiences, and write research summaries.
- Strong interpersonal skills — an ability to work effectively with management, staff, and stakeholders in different countries and cultural contexts.
- Creative and entrepreneurial self-starter, with a focus on execution and results.
- Able to anticipate needs in advance, find opportunities for improvement, and proactively implement potential solutions.
- Solid understanding of economics, statistics, and econometrics, with a genuine interest in learning about the latest findings in the field of development economics.
- Excellent data skills (proficiency in statistical analysis software such as R and/or Stata is preferred).
- Strong judgement and accountability — an ability to make good decisions in a diplomatic and accountable manner, with a commitment to confidentiality.
- Experience in planning, budgeting, and project management.
- Superior attention to detail.
Required Qualifications and Experiences:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Economics, International Development, Political Science, Public Policy, or a related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of professional experience designing and executing complex projects and/or handling large responsibilities, in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong track record of success in academic studies, as well as the professional workplace.
Network Support and Software Engineer
The Network Support and Software Engineer position will be entrusted with the overall responsibility of leading software development, procuring network equipment and managing subcontractors involved with network installation. The role holder will also be in charge of configuring firewalls, routing and switching to maximise network efficiency and security in the Kenya office and schools and support the IT requirements of selected Foundation programs in the region as needed e.g. The Pharo Diagnostic Centre in Assosa . He/She will take the lead in setting up and maintaining networks within the organisation in Kenya and offer day to day support to users. As such, they need to have good troubleshooting skills and be able to collaborate with other employees to resolve issues.\
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Install, support and develop Laboratory Information System (LIS) written in PHP, MySQL, and node-js.
- Maintain and develop SharePoint sites.
- Automate processes using forms and lists via Power Automate and other tools.
- Install and maintain network and desktop infrastructure.
- Provide first line support on all software and hardware issues to Nairobi HQ staff.
- Manage issue ticket creation and IT asset tracking.
- Create automated build processes for laptop and desktop deployment.
- Work on data classification and data leak prevention setup.
- Manage service provider and vendor communications for local site.
- Communicate technical information, verbal and written, to a wide range of end-users and clients.
- Manage on-premises server room infrastructure.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent certifications are a plus.
- Programming experience is a must have.
- Desktop and networking experience is an added advantage.
- Great attention to detail and a flexible approach to work.
- High professional and ethical standards.
- Structured and process oriented.
- Excellent time-manager who can balance multiple priorities.
- Motivated to learn and perform and not afraid to ask questions.
- Keeps informed of new trends, skills, and practices in technology.
- Good communicator and comfortable to work in a team environment.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.