Consultant – DDM Support at World Health Organization,
Consultant – DDM Support at World Health Organization
The World Health Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations that is concerned with international public health. It was established on 7 April 1948, headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
Consultant – DDM Support
Purpose of consultancy
- To oversee the complete piloting of the direct payment mechanism for the EM_SOM, country office, where the starting point will be polio campaigns in Somalia and measure the implementation of the roll-out across Somalia for all the programmes. The responsibility includes training to all the Somalia team members, drafting guidelines, Special Operating Procedures (SOPs) and request/s for proposals (RFP) in close collaboration with the country Administrative/Financial team.
- Somalia ranks among the lowest in human development index – calculated at 0.284. It as some of the worst health indicators in the world, with life expectancy of 47 years, infant mortality of 132 per 1,000 live births, under-five mortality of 224 per 1,000 live births and maternal mortality of 1,600 per 100,000 live births. Vaccination rates are dismally low, with only 10.6% of all children less than one year and 27% of children less than five years fully immunized against all the childhood diseases, with considerable variations between urban, rural settled and nomadic populations Cholera is endemic in Somalia, with outbreaks occurring annually from December to June. The major underlying causes of diarrhoea are the lack of access to safe water and poor food and domestic hygiene.
- During each NID round, approximately 20,000 people are hired as campaign workers for different tasks (vaccinators, provincial supervisors and district coordinators, vehicle owners). The system will alleviate district polio workers and supervisors from effecting all these payments by themselves. The bank or the third-party paying agent will be fully responsible for payment to vaccinators in lieu of district coordinators and/or cluster coordinators.
- The system will discourage the enrolment of minors and ghost vaccinators as it only pays incentives to pre-enrolled workers with proper authentication mechanism that will be established in coordination with the institution to be contracted against the terms and conditions to be provided by WHO e.g. eligibility for enrolment being above the age of 18. The system will be more straight forward and transparent, and it will contribute to the effort of regaining acceptance and developing stronger sense of ownership of the program by the community and the workers. Will ensure proper utilization of funds and maintain donor’s confidence.
- Develop training syllabus, material, Handbook, SOP, and guidelines related to Direct Disbursement Mechanism (DDM)
- Facilitate cascade trainings of the WCO Somalia field and operation staff, according to the role, responsibility, and accountability
- Test the in house developed software and trouble- shooting. Liaise with EMRO team on the customization of the software to the country requirements
- Help preparing RFP for new bidding process
Qualifications, experience, skills and languages
- Essential: University degree in Accounting, Business administration, economics or a related field
- Essential: At least 5 years’ experience in the area of administration and finance. International experience is mandatory.
- report-writing skills (in English);
- strong analytic skills;
- excellent communication and time-management capacity;
Languages and level required (Basic/Intermediate/Expert):
- Excellent written and spoken knowledge of English