Communications & Fundraising Intern at MSF
Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders (MSF) is an international medical humanitarian organisation that provides assistance to people affected by war, conflict, natural disasters, outbreaks and epidemics or healthcare exclusion. The organisation now works in more than 70 countries around the world, with significant projects across East African countries including in Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda.
As an organisation founded by journalists and doctors, communications has a specific role within MSF. We believe that we can alleviate suffering by providing medical assistance as well as by speaking out about the suffering we witness in the course of our work. Communications helps to further our organisation´s objectives, including by helping us to grow our human, financial and civil base, by communicating to our patients about the services we provide or by sharing health promotion messages.
MSF Eastern Africa is the regional institutional office for MSF. The office focusses on representation and networking, recruiting and supporting staff from the region, communications and fundraising as well as on other dossiers of importance to MSF such as Diversity, Equality and Inclusion (DEI), mutualization, trainings, medical operational support and environmental health.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
We require a bright, helpful, committed and adaptable intern to provide daily support to our communications team to carry out the following tasks:
- All channels media monitoring and reporting – provide a daily press review as well social media monitoring; flagging opportunities for coverage while ensuring the organisation stays on top of relevant sector developments
- Supporting the team in shaping and developing media materials and campaign content
- Briefing and debriefing of field workers, helping to build the list of spokespeople available to the organisation
- Helping with logistical arrangements for media events, trainings, recruitment and association events
- Under the supervision of the team, generating content for website and helping to keep the platform updated
- Regularly updating the department’s media contact lists
- Researching issues and communication trends and coming up with ideas for possible stories
- Providing support to translate materials from English to Swahili
- Produce a weekly fundraising summary and mange some elements of our donor communications, such as thank you letters.
Education and experience:
- Passion and commitment to humanitarian work and values, social or charitable courses
- Bachelor’s degree in Media, Marketing/Communication/PR or any related field of study (Post graduation period not longer than one year)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong English & Swahili writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Soft skills in media relations
- Photography, videography, editing and graphic design skills are an added advantage
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioral Flexibility
- Service Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Strong organisational skills, energy and enthusiasm
- Location: Based in Nairobi, at the Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders Eastern Africa office
- Fixed term period of 6 months
- Ex-gratia allowance of KES 1,000/day.
- Starting date: November 2022
Applicants should send their curriculum vitae and cover motivation letter as a single file by 12th October 2022. Please note that MSF will only contact short-listed candidates.