Career Openings at UNEP Apply
Career Openings at UNEP Apply
Career Openings at UNEP Apply,
Career Openings at UNEP Apply
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the world’s environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the environment.
- Open Jobs
- Method of Application
Finance and Budget Assistant
He/She Will Be Responsible For The Following
The Climate Change Mitigation Unit wishes to engage the services of a Finance and Budget Assistant for a period of 6 months to assist in the management of the portfolio. Under the supervision of the Fund Management and Administrative Officers in the UNEP GEF Climate Change Mitigation Office, Nairobi,the Finance and Budget Assistant will work with other finance staff and assist in project and fund management of the Portfolio.
Budget and Finance
- Assists in the preparation and review of financial and human resource proposals/requirements.
- Consolidates budget/work programme with respect to Headquarters’ budget, trust funds, grants and procurement;
- Monitors expenditures and compares with approved budget; prepares adjustments as necessary;
- Assists managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions;
- Assists in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures;
- Prepares or customizes financial reports from Umoja generated reports;
- Co-ordinates with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
- Drafts routine correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant administrative, financial audit, personnel matters;
- Coordinates extensively with service units and liaises frequently with internal team members both at Headquarters and in the field;
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required (e.g., operational travel programme; monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services; physical space planning; identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems; organizing and coordinating seminars, conferences and translations);
- May be responsible for guiding and training new colleagues to the team.
- Assists with day-to-day administration of contracts between the UN and external contractors for outsourced services;
- Audits the contractors’ invoices against the goods and services provided by the contractor and approved by the UN;
- Processes the payment of contractors’ invoices and monitor payments;
- Prepares and processes all UN forms and permissions for contractual and work Unit, Section or Service UN staff, including: UN grounds passes, property passes, UN parking permits, swipe-card access and door keys.
Perform other relevant duties.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A professional qualification in an accounting or finance-related subject is required.
- Additional technical qualifications such as certified public account (CPA) or equivalent are required.
- A minimum of seven years work experience in the fields of Accounting, Finance or related area is required.
- Proven experience working with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems such as Systems Applications and Products (SAP) is required.
- Experience with finance related areas within the UN system or other international development organization is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
Nature Action-One Health Programme Officer
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP Africa Office represents the organization and coordinates its work in the region. We work to ensure the effective and efficient delivery of interventions in response to regional, sub-regional and national needs. We also ensure better coherence and coordination in the effective delivery of environmental capacity-building and technical support at all levels in response to country needs and priorities.
Under the overall guidance of the Deputy Regional Director of the UNEP Africa Office and the direct supervision of the Regional Sub-programme Coordinator for Nature Action in the Regional Office for Africa, in collaboration with the Regional Sub-programme Coordinators for Chemicals and Pollution Action, climate change, science-policy, environmental governance, as well as the AMCEN secretariat, and in close coordination with the One Health Team at UNEP headquarters, the individual contractor will be responsible.
- Support the stocktaking of existing initiatives and emerging opportunities on One Health-related initiatives in the region.
- Collaborate with science policy in undertaking environmental assessments and mapping of environmental risk drivers to health, as well as potential environmental solutions in support of member states.
- Collaborate with pollution/waste to ideate and document for policy uptake by member states, pollution/waste solutions to one-health from an enterprise lens.
- Collaborate with climate change to ideate and document for policy uptake by member states, climate action solutions to one-health from an enterprise lens.
- Collaborate with environmental governance to support the setting up of cross-cutting, coherent enabling policies that drive integration of environment solutions for health.
- Support continental processes in driving the uptake of above environmental solutions into continental policies and strategies through the Africa Ministerial Conference on the Environment (AMCEN).
- Support the uptake of environmental solutions to one-health by UNRCs / UNCTs across Africa.
- Support the development of an internal strategy for UNEP’s engagement on One Health-related initiatives in the region and globally.
- Participate and assist in the coordination of Quadripartite activities in the region as well as other One Health activities that UNEP is involved in with other members of the Quadripartite and beyond, including by contributing to the implementation of the Nature for Health and AMR MPTF projects.
- Contribute to One Health agenda setting and propose, advise on and review approaches and specific studies relevant to the development of a global approach to reduce environmental aspects of health risk, including risk of zoonotic pandemics, pollution, and antimicrobial resistance (AMR).
- Contribute to the preparation of various written outputs for UNEP and the Quadripartite, e.g., draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, strategic documents, guidelines and policy recommendations etc.
- Support the development, resource mobilization, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects related to One Health, including by contributing to the preparation of funding proposals and project concept notes, etc. and keep the Regional Office and the One Health Team abreast of developments in Africa.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in the fields of environment, ecosystem health, microbiology, or other closely related sector is required. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management is required in at least two of the following fields, with experience in the rest being desirable: One Health; ecosystem health; health systems; antimicrobial resistance; microbiology, ecotoxicology, emerging infectious diseases and zoonoses; public health; animal health; social, economic and behavioural sciences relating to One Health. Ability to facilitate workshops is highly desirable.
- English, and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English and French (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Duties And Responsibilities
For each region, the consultant will:
New networks: Europe, and North America
- Conduct a mapping of potential networks and organizations (and entry points for expanding, strengthening GAN regional nodes). The mapping should include i) current membership ii) network activity iii) governance structure
- Interview potential key stakeholders representing those networks to assess the regional needs, priorities, and operational challenges as well as the policy opportunity for strengthened adaptation network. A scoping of the feasibility of linking the network to the UNEP Global Adaptation Network based on the mapping exercise and the interviews should be developed.
- Prepare recommendations on which network would be selected and a cost estimate to bring them in the GAN.
Existing networks: LAC
- In addition to 1 and 2, identify challenges that are hindering the work of existing networks (for LAC and NA regions) to work effectively and develop costed recommendations.
- Identify relevant organizations that each regional node would partner with to strengthen the GAN, support delivery of the UNEP MTS and programme of work and partnerships that would help influence adaptation policy and finance.
- Develop a roadmap and timeline on how the GAN Secretariat can strengthen its regional networks and create new ones, and indicative resources needed to carry this forward.
- Master’s degree in resource management, forestry, environment, development studies, international relations, Climate Change or a closely related field is required.
- Experience: at least 7 years of practical adaptation to climate change or international development experience working at the policy level is required.
- Experience in working and collaborating with multi-stakeholder partnerships and and working with knowledge networks.is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in preparing, conducting and documenting stakeholder engagement including surveys/interviews is desirable.
- Excellent English written communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize project outputs and relevant findings for the preparation of quality project reports. For this post, fluency in and written Spanish is desirable
TEEB Agrifood Peer Review consultant
Duties And Responsibilities
The consultant is needed in both of the TEEBAgriFood workstreams in Brazil (Urban and Periurban Agriculture and Low Carbon Agriculture – termed the ABC+ policy) and TEEBAgriFood work streams in other countries in scope to review the methods and the reports developed by the national implementing partners and to support the communication of the results in order to mainstream the results.
- Providing technical and methodological guidance and feedback for the ABC+ research partner to incorporate the TEEBAgriFood framework in their methods, including their models and analyses.
- Reviewing the methodological proposal for ABC+ and consequently results obtained specifically looking at the ecosystem services measurement and valuation.
- Reviewing the guidelines targeted at urban planners to include the TEEBAgriFood framework approach to inform planning and inclusion of urban and periurban agriculture.
- Providing inputs to the TEEBAgriFood framework to adapt it to the urban and periurban agriculture reality. Including references to the data needs, the short and long-circuit value chains, social and community networks, and the needs of subnational stakeholders.
- Providing inputs to the draft results reports from other EUPI country project.
- Assessing the implications of project results on the current structure and priorities of government and provide guidance to the team on mainstreaming.
- A first level degree in in agronomy, agricultural or natural resource economics, environmental economics, resource economics, political sciences, international studies and development, environmental sciences, or a related field is required. An advanced degree in related fields would be an added advantage.
- A minimum 2 years of experience of measuring and modelling the economic, social and biophysical aspects of agricultural systems in Latin America is required.
- Experience in the area of environmental accounting, environment statistics or environmental economics is required.
- Specialized expertise in land use change modeling, particularly modeling of agricultural landscapes, soil and hydrological modeling, agricultural production and assessment of externalities (i.e. water pollution, soil degradation), carbon modeling, ecosystem service valuation, agricultural economics, health and human capital assessment, social capital and landscape governance assessment, system dynamics, and policy assessment is desirable.
- Proven experience within the government administration, UN system, non-governmental organization, consultancy service or a related organization is desirable.
- Experience in organizing and implementing projects on ecosystem assessment or related field is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of Portuguese is desirable.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.