Best 100 Frequently Asked Job Search Questions In Kenya,
Best 100 Frequently Asked Job Search Questions In Kenya
If you have been searching for a job, we believe that you may have some confusions about the job search process. Well, the good news is that we are going to give answers to all your job search questions in this article. Here are 10 job seekers frequently asked questions:
1. How long will it take me to land a job after graduation?
The time it will take you to land a job after graduation is not certain because different factors contribute to how soon it will take you to land a job. The earlier you get the right information and tools to land a job (CV, cover letter) the sooner you land the job.
Generally, people believe that an entry-level job search can take up to three to six months. Based on the research done by My Job Vacancies, we have discovered that it takes a job seeker an average of 9 months to land a job after graduation.
2. Is searching for a job online the best job search method?
In today’s job market, the internet is a core tool because the world has evolved and anyone you may need to connect with is online. Yes, searching for a job online is a great job search strategy that is most useful when combined with other job search methods.
The truth is that it will be difficult for you to engage in an effective job search without using the internet. The internet is a needed tool, whether you are searching for a job on the internet, connecting with people, creating networks, researching companies, or sending in your CV or cover letter. Not having access to the internet will make your job search a challenging one.
3. How much will I likely earn in my first job?
How much you will earn in your first job is dependent on some factors like your skills, the experience you have been able to gather, your negotiation skills, etc.
Gone are the days when companies display their salary structures publicly and when getting a university degree guarantees a high earning power. These days, the job market is more skill-based, this means that the more in-demand skills you have, the more you may earn.
You can earn more than this depending on your qualification, the industry, your skills, etc. The company that you eventually work for will also affect what you will earn in your first salary. You can search for salaries of entry-level staff in any company of your choice on mysalaryscale.com.
4. Do I need a good CV to land a job?
Yes, Having a CV is the only way you can be noticed by employers. If you do not have a CV how would employers know that you have the skills and the ability to do the job? Of course, you cannot go around telling employers that you are a good fit without a CV.
A good CV will attract employers that will invite you for a job interview, and then who knows you may just land the job. When you create a good CV, you will be on your way to a job interview in no time. In conclusion, a CV highlights why you are the best person for the job.
5. How can I land a job fast?
Landing a job fast does not just happen; you have to do some things to get the job that you love fast. If you want to land a job as fast as after one month of leaving school, then you have to do the following:
- Start searching for jobs early even while you are in school.
- Take up volunteering and internship opportunities to build your job experience.
- Figure out what you want to do to have a specific job search.
- Write a good CV.
- Create a good cover letter.
- Start networking with industry expert both online and offline.
- Prepare well for the interview.
- Acquire in-demand skills that employers are looking out for in job candidates.
It is possible to land a job fast if you have the right information and acquire the right skills.
6. Can I get a job with no work experience?
Employers often lookout for job candidates with work experience because they can get the work done without stress. You can still get a job even if you don’t have work experience.
When some employees want to hire entry-level job candidates, they often look beyond work experience. They look out for the job candidate’s enthusiasm and his/her ability to learn, if you don’t have tangible work experience you can highlight the following when searching for a job:
Your skills (what can you do well?): An employer can decide to hire you over someone that has years of experience because of your skills.
Network: networking is another way you can get a job when you have no experience. Networking allows you to meet with people that can connect you to an opportunity.
Apply for internship/volunteering jobs: instead of struggling to apply for regular jobs with other experienced job candidates, you can simply apply for internship and volunteering jobs. These jobs don’t require you to have work experience, they rather help you build your work experience.
N: B= always make sure you send a cover letter when you are applying for a job with no experience. Writing a cover letter allows you to tell the employer why you think you are the best person for the job even before the interview.
7. What makes a CV good?
A CV that tells the employer that you are the best person for the job clearly and concisely. How does your CV tell the employer that you are the best person for the job?
You can achieve this by:
- Tailoring your CV to the job you are applying for (use the job description as a guide)
- Writing a good personal statement that gives the employer background knowledge about you.
- Adding skills and experiences that are relevant to the job that you are applying for.
- Including achievements, that endorses you as the best person for the job is another way to make your CV good.
- Don’t forget to add education and certifications to your CV, it makes the employer understand your educational background.
8. Do I need a good CV to land a job?
When it comes to getting a job, different factors will determine whether or not you will get a job. Indeed, having a good CV is not enough to get you the job of your dreams, but at least it exposes you to employers.
Your CV is one of the things that you need to get right when searching for a job because no one knows what you can do because they don’t know you. Having a good CV allows you to tell your prospective employer that you can do the job.
This is how the typical job search process works:
When you see a job that you like, you send your CV to apply for the job, if the recruiter finds your CV attractive, you would be invited for an interview, if you pass the interview, you get the job.
You see how your CV plays an important role in your job search.
9. How can I earn a good salary in my first job?
What you would earn from your first job is dependent on different factors like your skills, your experience, the industry, and even the company that you are trying to get into.
- One of the ways to earn a good salary in your first job is to acquire in-demand skills that employers are looking for in job candidates. Acquiring in-demand skills like programming, video editing, etc. will increase your negotiation power when negotiating the salary for a job.
- Another way you can earn a good salary in your first job is to target multi-national companies. If you would like to work for such companies, you can follow them to know when they have a job vacancy.
Even if you do not get to earn well in your first job, you should know that you are in a process that can only get better. Keep learning to position yourself for better opportunities.
10. Is writing a cover letter necessary?
We know that sometimes job seekers skip job adverts that require them to write a cover letter because they want to quickly apply for the job and move on with their lives. Does it make sense to keep applying for a job for the sake of it?
When you are applying for a job, you are sending in your application because you want to get the job right? This is why you should always write a cover letter when you are applying for a job even if it is not required.
Why should you write a cover letter?
Writing a cover letter when applying for a job allows you to sell yourself to the employer and explain why you think you are the best fit for the job
11. Should I apply for a job if I don’t have the experience?
Yes, you can apply for a job even if you don’t have the requested number of years of experience, but you should do this with reason. It means that if the position requires a candidate with 4 years experience, and you have 2 years experience with the needed skills then you can apply for the job.
You should also weigh your match for a job before applying, how close are you in comparison to what the employer is looking for?
If you are a 10% match for the skills and experience required for the job, then don’t bother. If on the other hand, if you are a 70% match, then you can go ahead to apply for the job even if you are not a 100% match for the role.
12. Can I get a job without having connections?
Yes, you can. Even though having the right connections can facilitate your getting a job, you can still land a good job without knowing anyone or having connections.
If you do not know any ‘big man’ that can connect you to a job, then you need to do the following to land a job without connection:
- Acquire in-demand skills that employers need badly.
- Get the necessary work experience.
- Create a good CV.
- Create a good cover letter.
- Start networking with people.
- Take internship/volunteer opportunities.
- Get the relevant certifications.
Once you can check all the things listed above, and then you would be able to get a job without having connections.
13. Can I get a job even if I don’t know the kind of job I want?
Yes, you can get a job even if you don’t know the kind of job that you want to do. From our recruitment experience over the years, we have met many job seekers that don’t know the kind of job that want to do.
When we ask them: What kind of job would you love to do?
We notice that over 80% of job candidates, especially entry-level job candidates usually give us this response: any job! Once we hear this, we just know immediately that the job candidate is yet to discover his/her career path.
If you have not yet discovered the kind of job that you want to do, and you need to get a job, the best thing is to take a volunteering/internship opportunity.
You don’t necessarily need work experience to get an internship job. An internship opportunity will allow you to learn on the job, while learning you will be able to discover the kind of job that you want to do (long term).
14. When is the best time to look for a job?
Based on our recruitment experience and our experience in running a job board, we can tell you that the best time to search for a job is when many people are not searching.
There are indeed more job vacancies in January because many companies are restructuring, expanding, etc. The competition for vacant jobs is usually high at these times of the year.
The best time to look for a job is during the holidays. Holidays like Christmas is the best time to search for a job because many people are relaxed and waiting to search when the year begins.
15. How can I have a stress free job search?
Generally, we know that searching for a job can be challenging because there are many job search boxes that you have to tick (write a CV, cover letter, practice interview questions and answers, etc.).
The process of searching for a job can move from having many things to do to be stressful. When you keep putting in effort into your job search and you get little or no result then it becomes stressful.
To have a less stressful job search, you have to change your strategy and stop doing the things you have been doing like:
- Sending out too many job applications to random job vacancies.
- Applying to jobs that you don’t meet up to 20% of the needed requirements.
- Using one CV for all your job applications.
Then start doing things like:
- Acquiring in-demand skills.
- Tailoring your CV to the job that you are applying for.
- Preparing well for your job interviews.
These tips will help you have a stress free job search
16. Can I apply for a job in person?
Yes, you can apply for a job in person, but this method of application does not work for every kind of job. Gone are the days when you can go in person to apply for any kind of job, these day companies post their vacancies online or use a recruitment agency.
Many companies do their recruitment online; because it allows them to manage the process easily without too much paper works.
If you are looking for a job that deals directly with the customer (like sales, marketing, etc.) then you can apply in person. If you are looking for a job that requires you to use a computer, then you may have to apply online.
17. Where is the best place to find a job?
When it comes to searching for a job, there are a million and one places that you can find job vacancies, but you have to be careful about the places you go to look for job vacancies. As much as there are legitimate jobs, there are also fake jobs everywhere.
You should be careful about online jobs because it is cheap for people to post what they like online. That is why you should only search for job opportunities on trusted job publishing platforms like My Job Vacancies and LinkedIn.
Searching for opportunities on My Job Vacancies assures that you only get to see job adverts from verified companies.
18. How do I respond to questions about salary expectations?
During your interview, the question about your salary expectation will likely come up, that is why you have to be careful about how you answer the question.
Employers do not ask this question for the sake of it. They ask this question because they want to know if your salary expectation matches the amount they have planned to pay for the position.
They also ask this question to know how much you value yourself (your skills/abilities). This is why you should know your worth.
To answer the interview question about salary expectation, you have to:
- Research what other people in your position earn, this will guide your response.
- Show that you have a great value for your skills/abilities.
- Sell yourself to the interviewer.
You also have to be careful when answering this question. You should avoid:
- Playing down on your skills and abilities to please the interviewer, (this is not the time to be modest).
- Avoid saying a specific amount, rather give a range (this way, you leave it open to negotiation).
“With my expert skill in content development and 6 years of experience, I think I should be offered the compensation that is due to my skills and experience, a range of KSh200, 000 – KSh250, 000 from my research will not be a bad idea”.
You can use the sample answer above to frame your answer to the question.
19. Should I follow up after an interview?
Yes, you can follow up on the recruiter after your interview, but you need to be cautious not to overdo it. Recruiters and employers are often busy, so they won’t like to be bordered unnecessarily.
Following up after the interview shows that you are enthusiastic about the job, but don’t disturb your potential employer with many messages and phone calls. Sending messages and calling the recruiter every day can turn the recruiter off.
We advise you to wait for about one week after the second or third interview before sending a follow-up message or placing a call.
20. How can I get more than one job?
Finding a second job depends on what you want to do and the kind of jobs that can fit into what you are doing already.
If you already have a full-time job, then your option of a second job should revolve around freelance, telecommuting, work-from-home, evening, weekend jobs etc. You don’t need to limit yourself to your location when searching for a second job.
The best way to find a second job is to:
- Use your network (check if there is something you can do for someone in your network and are paid for it).
- Search for opportunities on freelance sites.
21. What skills do I need to get a 6-figure job?
When it comes to getting a high paying job, your skill is a core-determining factor. There are a lot of in-demand skills that you can position you to earn well. Acquiring a skill doesn’t always equate to good pay, it is how proficient you are that determines your worth in a particular role.
For example, two people can be in the same role, but one may earn higher than the other employee may. These are some in-demand skills that you can learn:
- Web/software development
- Video editing
- Ethical hacking
Whatever skill you decide to acquire, what is important is how proficient you become because that is what will eventually determine how much you will earn in the end.
22. How can I be more confident during the interview?
If you often feel nervous during the interview, it is good you know that you are not the only one. Almost everyone feels somehow uncomfortable when they are out of their comfort zone. The interview is no one’s comfort zone.
The one sure way to feel more comfortable during the interview is to prepare for the interview by practising interview questions and answers. The more you practice with your friends/family or even in front of the mirror, the more confident you will be.
The answer is simple; prepare and practice until you get better at it.
23. How can I build a robust CV without working for a long time?
You do not necessarily have to work for donkey years to have a robust CV. Even though you have not worked for a long time, you can still structure a good and robust CV that would emphasize that you are the best person for the position.
You can do this by:
- Taking up volunteering jobs
- Taking up remote internship positions that will build your experience.
- Take up gigs to build your portfolio.
- Take online/offline courses to build your skills and also to add to your qualifications and certifications.
The following tips will help you build a robust CV even if you have not worked for a long time.
24. How can I survive while job hunting?
If you currently don’t have a job and you are currently job hunting, then you may be thinking of how to survive before you finally land the job.
Even while you are job hunting you need money, to attend interviews, buy work clothes, feed, internet access, etc. So the question is what can you do to survive the state of being jobless?
You can survive by doing things like:
- Selling things on social media (you can consider drop shipping), you can make some money without putting in any money.
- Cutting down on your expenses.
- Take part-time or temporary jobs.
- Ask for help when you think you need it.
- Consider leaving with a friend or family members.
25. How can I make employers search for me?
You can flip the job search by making employers search for instead of the other way round. To make employers look for you, you have to make yourself visible so that you can easily be found when an employer is searching.
You can make yourself more visible to employers by:
- Networking with industry experts. This makes you more visible to people in your industry because you can easily get a recommendation when you network.
- Build your brand online to make yourself more visible.
- Create a professional website.
- Build your brand online.
- Become active on LinkedIn.
- Create a job search account on My Job Vacancies.
26. How can I network with the best people in my industry?
The first way to start networking with the right people in your industry is to first, discover where you can find these people. Some different associations and groups allow you to network with a certain kind of people.
- You can start by doing a simple search online for a specific industry association.
- Join LinkedIn and search for groups related to your industry.
When you join a group or make a connection, you have to do the following to maintain the relationship:
- Reciprocate: for every favour you get from a connection be ready to do something in return.
- Be resourceful: Find ways to help your contacts even if it is by sending them a relevant article sometimes.
- Be genuine: When you connect with people, don’t do so because of your selfish interest, be genuinely interested in what they do.
- Stay in touch: Don’t just get what you want to get from your contact then abandon them, stay in touch from time to time.
27. How can I get only freelance/remote jobs?
The best way to get only freelance/remote jobs is to search for only these kinds of jobs. Consider signing up on freelance and remote jobs platform to get the latest job update. Freelance websites like Fiverr and Upwork are the best options if you are a Kenyan or reside in Kenya.
28. Do I need to move to Nairobi to get a good job?
No, you do not need to move to Nairobi to get a good job. The world has changed, and the way that things are done has equally changed too.
Gone are the days when you have to physically go to Nairobi to search for a job, these days you can search and apply for job opportunities from anywhere with the help of the internet. You can even work completely from your preferred location.
So you can be anywhere and still get a good job.
29. What recruitment agency can I work with to get a job?
When it comes to getting a job, working with a recruitment agency can be an option too. Sometimes, using a recruitment agency can make the job search easier for you, but you have to be careful about the recruitment agency that you use.
Before you choose a recruitment agency, you can ask the following questions:
- What is the experience of the recruitment agency?
- What niche do they have the most experience in?
- How often do they get clients?
- How do they market and advertise their vacancies?
- How do they choose or shortlist applicants?
- Are there charges I have to pay?
- What is the guarantee that they can get me a placement?
If you need a piece of advice about choosing the right recruitment, then Head your CV up with a short profile that summarises your offerings and persuades readers that you are a strong candidate for your target roles. is the recruitment agency that you should use.
30. Do I need to work in a bank to earn well?
No, you don’t need to work in a bank to earn well. Many people that earn very well don’t work in the bank. You don’t have to interface with cash to earn well, these days there are skills that you can acquire that will make you earn better than many bankers do.
If it is your dream to get a high paying job, then you can consider acquiring the in-demand skills that we talked about previously. You can acquire in-demand skills like:
- Web/software development
- Video editing
- Ethical hacking
31. When should I stop searching for a job after many disappointments?
We understand that it feels disappointing when you put in your best to landing a job, but all your efforts are just not clicking. The best thing to do at this stage considering the frustration that you may be experiencing is to take a break and come back refreshed.
Taking a break does not mean you have to stop searching. It is giving yourself some time to think things through and change your strategy.
Three situations can make you give up on searching for a job:
- If you are applying for every and any kind of job vacancy there is.
- If you are anxious about hearing back from the recruiter.
- If you always get close to getting a job but never do.
No matter what the situation is, giving up on searching for a job may not be the best approach for you. You can take a break, and then come back refreshed.
32. How can I get a government job in Kenya?
It may not be easy for you to get a federal government job in Kenya considering the level of corruption in the country. Everyone believes that you need to have a connection before you can get a government job in Kenya.
While that may be true, you can do the following things to get a government job in Kenya:
Pay attention to news reports: many times government opportunities are announced on local TV and Radio stations. You may not get these kinds of information on social media.
- Read newspapers: The newspapers are also a great way to get notified about government opportunities. You can read newspapers online without getting a hard copy from the stand.
- Search, visit, and follow government agencies online: Different government agencies have different websites and social media handles. So following these websites and social media handles will keep you in the loop of things.
- Search for government jobs on trusted jobs publishing platforms like MyJobMag.
You need to have the following documents to apply for a federal government job in Kenya:
- Birth Certificate.
- KCSE certificates
- Certificate of Origin (State and or local government).
- Means of identification i.e Voters card, Drivers license, Kenyan passport, National Id cards.
- Degree certificates.
- Marriage certificate (For married women using the husband’s name).
NB= You have to ensure you have the original copies of these certificates.
33. Should I leave my current job for a job interview?
Yes, going for an interview when you already have a job is one of the smartest decisions to make to advance your career. At this point, you are not desperate and employers like to hire people that are currently doing something.
Going for an interview when you have a job can also be stressful, so you have to be careful so that your employer does not suspect you. If you have a current job, then you have to follow these tips to attend an interview:
- Be selective about the kind of interview offer that you accept.
- Ask useful questions about the job and position before attending, so you don’t waste the time that an employer is paying for.
- Be creative about scheduling your time for an interview so you do not abandon your job.
- Choose a time that works well with you and the company you currently work for.
- Prepare well for the interviews, so that you are sure you are taking a calculated risk.
- Don’t go about telling co-worker. When you tell a co-worker, somehow it will get to your boss and that may cause some problems for you.
If you follow the tips, you will experience less stress attending interviews when you are currently employed.
34. How often should I update my CV?
If you are actively searching for a job, then you may have to tailor your CV to the role that you are trying to fill. Doing this may require you to make some minor changes to your CV. Tailoring your CV to a particular job increases your chances of getting the job.
Well, many people believe that you have to update your CV at least two times a year if you are employed. This will allow you to add new skills and certificates that you may have acquired.
If you are out of work and actively searching for a new place, then you should update your CV as often as possible to increase your hiring chances.
35. Must I follow the company I want to work for on social media?
No, you must not follow the company you want to work for on social media, but you can simply apply for the position that you are interested in with a good CV and cover letter.
On the other hand, following them on social media helps you learn more about them, as well as keep you in the loop as regards job opportunities.
36. Can I take note during the interview?
Yes, you can take notes during the interview. Taking notes during the interview shows that you are interested in the job well enough that you are fascinated by some things. Taking notes during the interview especially when the employer is talking about the company can help you stand out.
Before you start taking notes during the interview, make sure you ask the interviewer if he/she does not mind before bringing out your notepad or IPad to take note.
Asking for their permission before taking notes shows that you are cautious. You should also be careful not to write down answers to interview questions in the name of taking notes. If you do that then you are trying to cheat your way through the process.
37. Should I use a different CV for each job application?
You don’t necessarily need to use a different CV for each job application especially if you have a good CV. You can simply adjust your CV to fit into the job description for the role you are looking to fill by making some updates to what you already have.
If your CV is not good enough, then you may need to create an entirely new one to apply for the job you want.
38. How do I apply for fewer jobs and land more interview invites?
The secret to applying for fewer jobs and landing more job interviews is for you to see the job search process as an intentional, research-based, and calculated process that your 100% commitment and effort.
The following tips will ensure you apply for fewer jobs and land more job interview invites:
- Discover your career path.
- Have a well-tailored CV.
- Create an impressive cover letter template that you can update when applying for a job.
- Take some time to tailor your application to the job description.
- Search for job opportunities in the right places and at the right time.
- Build your work experience around your job field.
Once you have checked this list, another secret you need to know is; try to apply early when you see an opportunity that interests you. Stop applying for jobs 2 months after seeing the job advert.
39. Why haven’t I heard back from a company after I have applied?
This is a common job search question. If you have taken your time to tailor your CV and cover letter to a job that you are interested in, then weeks pass and you hear nothing from the recruiter.
As annoying as this may be, you are not the only one in this situation. The truth is that employers and recruiters don’t get back to you for the fun of it. There often don’t get back to you for the following reasons:
- You are not qualified for the job.
- They are doing some more screening for the position.
- They are legal rules guiding their feedback process.
- You did not apply the right way.
- They got a better candidate (maybe by recommendation).
These are some of the reason you would probably not hear back from the recruiter after sending in your application.
40. Why do the recruiter say; I will get back to you after the interview and never do that?
Ideally, a recruiter should send you an email to inform you whether or not you will make it to the next stage of the interview. The sad thing is that many recruiters/employers don’t send a regret mail after the interview.
As much as this puts you in a confusing position, some do this for the following reasons:
- They interviewed someone else that is better than you.
- You were not qualified, so they moved on.
- They have scheduled a time to get back to candidates that applied for the vacant role.
- They don’t know how to tell you that you are not the candidate they are looking for, so they simply say; we will get back to you.
Regardless of the reason, if you don’t hear back from the recruiter after a while, you can go back to check your CV, cover letter, and application to see the adjustments you can make in preparation for next time.
41. Can I take a note to the interview?
Just like we responded to a similar question earlier. Yes, you can take a note with you to the interview, but make sure you seek the consent of the recruiter or employer before making use of the note.
You should take a note with you to the interview with good intentions. If your reason for taking a note is because you noted down some questions that you would love to ask the interviewer, then that is a good reason. If on the other hand, you are taking a note because you wrote down some answers to the interview question, then that is wrong.
Taking a note to the interview is not wrong, but your motive matters a lot.
42. How long should my CV be?
Usually, the average length of your CV should be between two to three pages. Even if employers/recruiters do not have a strict restriction on the length of a CV, you don’t want to bore your prospective employer with a long CV.
Making the length of your CV around two to three pages gives you enough room to list your work experience to your prospective employer.
If you are a fresh graduate or you have limited work experience, you can summarize your CV to fit into a page. Always make sure you take a look at the job description so that you can list the skills and experiences that are most useful to the job.
43. Can I see job adverts for only jobs that I am interested in?
Yes, you can see job adverts for only the jobs that you are interested in even if most job publishing platforms publish job that cuts across different job fields.
If you only want to see job adverts that you are interested in, then you have to do the following:
- Search for niche job publishing websites that publish only the kind of jobs adverts that you want to see.
- Select your job reference on LinkedIn so that you get notified when there is a job vacancy for the job role that you are interested in.
- Search for job opportunities on a general job publishing platform like Head your CV up with a short profile that summarises your offerings and persuades readers that you are a strong candidate for your target roles., and then personalize your jobs. Personalizing your jobs helps you view jobs based on your settings.
If you want to work for a particular company, you can follow them on their social media platforms, subscribe to their newsletter to get first-hand information about their job vacancies.
44. How can I stay motivated when searching for a job?
We know that searching for a job has its challenges especially when your results don’t match the efforts that you put into your job search.
Doing everything thing that you have learned to do, and you are still yet to land a job interview not to talk of a job. Experiencing series of disappointments can make you feel like giving up, but you have to remain motivated to get the job that you want.
How can you stay motivated when job hunting?
You can stay motivated when searching for a job by doing the following:
- Create and follow a daily routine.
- Set achievable and measurable goals for yourself.
- Create a list of your accomplishments and go through them often.
- Keep yourself busy with volunteering or internship opportunities while waiting for your dream job.
While you are searching for a job, always remember to take a step back and assess your effort especially when things are not working.
45. How can I avoid falling for a scam job?
While you are doing your best to get your act together so that you can land a job, some criminals are out there patiently waiting to take advantage of you in the slightest opportunity they can get. This is why you need to protect yourself from scammers pretending to be recruiter/employers.
If you are new to job search, you may not be able to easily tell a fake job from a scam job. These tips will help you differentiate a legitimate job from a fake job:
- When you get a job offer that is too good to be true (e.g. Getting a 6 figure offer for an internship position).
- When you get contacted about a job offer when you never applied.
- When you offered a job right away without an interview or an assessment.
- When you are offered a job with no specific requirement or description.
- If you cannot find any useful information about the company.
- Being interviewed via a messaging platform.
- If you are asked to give out your personal information.
- If you are asked to pay for something before getting the job.
There are many employment fraudsters these days. Always check every job advert and interview invite carefully before accepting or applying.
46. How can I stand out from other job seekers?
The truth is that just as you are searching, there are thousands of job seekers surfing the internet in search of job opportunities. It is good you also know that these job candidates are qualified Just as you are or even more than you are.
Since many other candidates are as good as you are, so how can you distinguish yourself from other candidates:
- To distinguish yourself from other candidates, you have to show your prospective employer that you are ready to go the extra mile to show that you deserve the job. So how can you do this? You can do this by:
- Doing in-depth research to find out information about the company that other candidates may not have.
- Showing your prospective employer that you interested in the job by showing enthusiasm.
- Emphasizing your accomplishment more than your skills both on your CV and during the interview.
- Giving detailed information about yourself (adding links to your website, portfolio, etc.)
- Showing your ability to learn new things.
- By showing you have a positive personality.
These tips will ensure you stand out from other qualified job candidates.
47. How can I get a job without searching online?
In the world that we are in today, almost everything is done online including job search. Recruiters post their job adverts online because they want to reach a larger audience without much stress. The internet allows recruiters to reach millions of job seekers in any part of the world from their location.
Even as a job candidate, you can view many job adverts from anywhere from your location when you search online. If you don’t want to search for job opportunities online, then you are left with the option of networking.
Networking activities like connecting with friends and family, and attending networking events like a career fair, meet-ups, etc. You can consider working with a recruiter to help you find a job.
48. How can I search for jobs on social media?
Gone are the days when people only posted funny pictures and followed their favourite influencers on social media. Social media is not just meant for people to connect with their family and friends. These days, recruiters are using social media platforms to search for job candidates.
Studies show that 92% of companies are using social media for hiring. It is no news that many hiring managers search for job candidates’ social media profiles.
Since many employers use social media for recruitment, then see what you have to do to search for jobs on social media:
- Focus on few social media profiles that you can manage properly.
- Follow companies you want to work with on social media and research about them.
- Show yourself as a thought leader by portraying yourself as a subject expert with industry experts.
- You can send personal messages to a connection on LinkedIn that talks about how you can help with your skills.
Stop underusing/underestimating social media. You can land a job on social media by highlighting your skills and giving recruiters a peek into your personal life.
49. What questions can I ask the recruiter during an interview?
Many job seekers treat the job interview section as a questioning section. This means that they only get to prepare for the questions that the employer/recruiter will ask. You have to prepare for the questions that you will ask the recruiter/employer.
Asking the employer some questions shows that you are enthusiastic about the job, it also shows that you know what you want. If you are confused about the kind of questions to ask the recruiter, then these questions will guide you:
- How does this position contribute to the organization’s success?
- What does a typical day look like?
- What would my first week at work look like?
- What are the skills and experiences you’re looking for in an ideal candidate?
- What would my day-to-day routine look like if I got the job?
- What attributes does someone need to have to be successful in this position?
- What types of skills is the team missing that you’re looking to fill with a new hire?
- What are the biggest challenges that someone in this position would face?
- Can you describe your work environment here?
- What are the prospects for growth?
- What is the work culture like here?
50. How can I track my Job applications?
Many job seekers keep applying for jobs without tracking their applications. Tracking your applications helps you keep a record of your job search activities. Keeping track of your job search activities prevents you from falling into the hands of employment fraudsters.
51. Does the HR Manager make the hiring decision?
Sometimes it is difficult to say who makes the final decision in the hiring process because companies go about their recruitment differently.
Although, most times the HR managers and recruiters do not make the hiring decisions. They help facilitate the process and select the best candidates to meet with the CEO, MD, or board of directors as the case may be.
Even if the HR manager or recruiter may not make the hiring decision, they can influence the process since the CEO or MD will likely respond to their recommendation. This means that they can facilitate or hinder you from getting the job.
In some cases, the HR manager can make the hiring decisions if the CEO or Board of directors trusts the HR manager enough to do a good job based on previous success.
N: B= as a job seeker, knowing who makes the hiring decision may cause you to want to impress that one person which is not a good approach. You should always be at your best regardless of who makes the hiring decision.
52. How long does it take to get a job offer after the interview?
Each company’s hiring process may vary as regards the time it takes them to fill a vacant position. While it can take a small company a few hours to make an offer after an interview, it can take a bigger company a couple of days or even weeks to hire you depending on the number of job candidates that applied for the role.
Based on surveys done by different companies, it is believed that it takes 2 to 4 weeks for a job offer to be made after the interview.
Knowing how long it will take before the company makes you an offer can help influence your job search decisions. You can simply find out during your interview by asking the interviewer how soon they are willing to fill the position.
Asking this question will give you an idea of when you are likely to hear back from the interviewer.
53. How can I tell that a company is interested in me from the interview?
The job interview is one aspect of the job search process that largely determines whether or not you get the job. We know that it may not be easy for you to tell if a company is interested in you after the interview, but these signs will give you a hint that the hiring manager is interested in you:
- When the interview becomes longer than expected because the interviewer is enjoying his/her conversation with you.
- When the interviewer introduces you to other team members.
- When the interviewer gives you details about the job.
- The interviewer talks about your future in the company.
- When you are asked about your statistics.
- When they discuss specific job tasks and responsibilities with you
- If the interviewer discusses the next steps with you.
- When the recruiter tells you when to expect to hear back.
- When the recruiter shares their contact information or business card with you.
- When the interviewer shows you around the workspace.
- When the interviewer talks more about the perks, benefits, and other allowances.
These are some of the signs that show that a company is interested in you. Although these signs are not cast in stone. It is possible to get any of these signs and still not get the job. The best strategy is to prepare well for the interview.
54. How can I increase my chances of being hired after getting an interview invite?
Once you successfully get an interview invite, the next thing that comes to your mind is how you can increase your chances of being hired over other job candidates. Since you have crossed one hurdle (attracting an employer with your CV).
To increase your chances of getting hired after the interview, you have to prepare well enough to impress the interviewer during the interview. You can prepare by:
- Studying the job description well (carefully look at the duties and responsibilities sections).
- Practice common job interview questions and answers with family members and friends.
- Prepare intelligent questions to ask the interviewer.
- Practice your answers to the different questions to build your confidence.
- Be careful to read the interviewers action to answer appropriately.
These tips will help you increase your chances of getting hired after being invited for an interview.
55. What skill are employers looking for in job seekers?
When we talk about skills many people think about hard skills. Employers indeed love to employ people that have certain hard skills that is why they put up vacancies for their vacant roles. When a job is advertised, many qualified people apply for the job.
Most times employers are after job candidates that have some soft skills. Many employers believe that hard skills can be learned while some soft skills may not be easily learned. So they will rather hire a job candidate that is not so competent in hard skills but has some soft skills that will guarantee their success like:
- Good communication skills
- Ability to learn (keeping an open mind).
- Problem-solving skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team, etc.
These are some of the soft skills that employers look for in job seekers. As much as you want to acquire hard skills, it is good you build your soft skills too.
56. What are the highest paying jobs in Kenya?
Well, you may have been searching for the highest paying jobs in Kenya because you want to earn well. While you can earn well in any job role (by building your proficiency/competence) there are still some jobs that will make you earn well.
Below is the list high paying jobs in Kenya and their salaries:
- Aeronautical Engineer
- Project Manager
- Petroleum Engineer
- Investment Bankers
- Software Developer
You can search for the salaries of top roles and companies on mysalaryscale.com
57. What do Kenyan employers want from job seekers?
What an employer wants from job seekers varies with the kind of job that the job seeker wants to get and who a particular employer considers as an ideal candidate. Asides from the requirement on the job description, there are some things that employers want from job seekers.
Employers love to hire a job candidate that:
- Take initiative and can work under little or no supervision.
- Is open to learning as they progress.
- Can communicate effectively with both superiors and subordinates.
- Can work in a team structure.
- Can plan, organize, and prioritize work.
- Can easily obtain and process information.
- Someone that can think critically.
- Can use some basic computer soft wares like MS Word, Excel, etc.
These are some general skills that employers want from job seekers. You can research the ones that are specific in our industry.
58. Can I get a job by sending a cold email to employers?
Yes, you can get a job by sending cold emails to employers. Even if many people feel that it is a risky job search strategy, you can still land good job opportunities by sending cold emails to the right person (HR manager, CEO, etc.).
Even while some employers frown at job seekers sending cold emails, others see it as the job seekers showing enthusiasm and willingness for the job.
Even if you can land a job b sending a cold email, you should also make sure you follow some guidelines to do it properly like:
- Sending the email to the right person.
- Creating a catchy subject line.
- Introducing yourself properly.
- Selling your strength and skills properly to your prospective employer.
59. How can I deal with job search frustrations?
Searching for a job can indeed be challenging, but when the challenges now become recurring, then you may be tempted to fall into frustration. If you put so much effort into your job search but get little or no result then it may start to get to you.
Once you notice that you have started feeling tired of searching for a job, then you can consider doing the following to deal with the frustration:
- Take a step back to change strategy.
- Start networking more with people that can help you.
- Check your CV and cover letter.
- Let your family and friends know that you are open to a job.
- Take time out to acquire new skills.
- Consider working with a recruiter.
60. What is the difference between a cover letter and an application letter?
Many job seekers are confused about the difference between a cover letter and an application letter. Even if some people use the two terms interchangeably, they are different. These are some difference between a cover letter and an application letter:
- An application letter is intended to stand alone, while a cover letter is usually accompanied by a CV or resume.
- A cover letter will contain a brief introduction that consists of three to four sentences about the job seekers’ experience, education, accomplishment and why the job seeker feels he/she is the best candidate for the job. On the other hand, an application letter may have a more extensive introduction because it is meant to stand alone just like the CV.
- An application letter often can substitute for a resume and, therefore, requires that the job seeker include specific information about her work history and professional competencies. A cover letter, on the other hand, should not contain too much information about the job seekers because it is merely an introduction to the resume.
- A cover letter is like an elevator pitch. It is intended to capture the reader’s attention enough to make the recruiter or hiring manager want to review the CV.
- A cover letter is usually used by a job seeker to show interest in a job vacancy after which the job seeker will attach a detailed document (which is usually a CV). An application letter is mostly used by a job seeker to show interest in an unsolicited job.
61. Why do I get rejected for a job offer?
Rejection is often inevitable when it comes to searching for a job. The truth is that for every job interview invite that you get, there are many that you would probably get rejected for. If you have searched for a job for a long time, then you may wonder why you got rejected.
There are many times when you would apply for a job and you may not get to hear anything from your applications. It is possible for you to apply for 100 jobs and not get a response from the 100 applications.
Sometimes you may not know why you did not get the job, but these are some reasons why your application got rejected:
- You were the least qualified candidate that applied for the job.
- Your job application was not complete and considered as invalid.
- You did not tailor your CV to the job description.
- You did not target your cover letter for the job you applied for.
- You did not show enthusiasm for the job.
- You did not take the interview preparation seriously.
No matter how many rejections that you may have gotten, the best thing to do is to retrace your job search process to see where the problem came from. This will help you discover areas that you need to work on so that you can do better.
62. How can I be retained after my industrial training?
Considering the rate of unemployment in Kenya, many Trainees look forward to being retained in their place of duty after their industrial training. While it may not be easy for you to get retained after your industrial training, the following tips can help you:
a. Develop a great work attitude
Developing a great work attitude is one thing that will ensure you get retained after your industrial training. Great attitudes like being committed to your work, being positive regardless of the challenges, offering help to colleagues at work, etc.
b. Be punctual
Being punctual at work is an indication that you take your job seriously and that is one thing that the HR manager or employer will notice easily. If you want to be considered for a role after your industrial training, then you should look forward to always be punctual.
c. Create a good work relationship with colleagues
Building a great work relationship with your colleagues will go a long way to ensuring that you get retained after your industrial training. Since you are temporary staff, you never know which employee’s recommendation you need to be retained after your industrial training.
d. Set goals you want to achieve with your work
If you want to get retained after your industrial training, then you should start setting goals that you want to achieve with every task. This way, your job will not just be a routine, but you will be able to add value to the company with your role.
e. Develop professional skills
Most times, working as a corps member, you may be treated as an intern which means that you will be allowed to learn on the job. Make use of this opportunity to develop your professional skills. Developing your professional skills will increase your chances of being employed.
Whether or not you get retained after your industrial training make that one year count by learning and developing yourself.
63. How do I get an NGO job in Kenya?
If you are passionate about helping other people or being part of an organization that helps others in one way or the other, then getting an NGO job is the way for you to go.
How can you get a job with a non-profit organization?
Many NGO job opportunities get advertised regularly. Therefore, before you apply for any NGO job, you need to find out the ones that best fit your interest and drive.
Once you have decided on the kind of NGO that you want to work for, then you can go ahead to look for opportunities in that area.
These tips will guide you in finding the NGO job that fits you:
- Identify an NGO that you would love to work with and register as a volunteer.
- Once you have registered as a volunteer be ready to take responsibility by adding value, this way you can work your way to becoming a full-time staff member.
- Watch out for more job openings by following NGOs on social media and other platforms.
- Network with other people in different NGOs.
- Update your CV to reflect your interest in non-profit organizations.
- Be prepared for the interview.
To get a job in a non-profit, you have to acquire skills like:
- The ability to speak multiple languages.
- Team spirit and effective communication skills.
- Business awareness is another core skill needed to excel in a non-profit organization.
64. Are there good jobs in other counties in Kenya?
Yes, there are good jobs in other counties in Kenya asides from Nairobi. Although Nairobi remains the economic capital of Kenya with the highest number of job opportunities, there are also job opportunities in other counties.
Even if the number of job opportunities in other counties may not be as much as in Nairobi, you can still get good-paying jobs in other counties in Kenya. With the changes that the world has experienced, you can get a remote job in Nairobi from wherever county you are.
65. Can I get a job with an KCSE certificate?
Yes, you can get a job with your KCSE certificate. Many people believe that an KCSE certificate is useless, but that is not true. You can still get a job with your KCSE certificate while you wait to further your education.
Even if it may not be easy for you to find a 6-figure job with your KCSE Certificate, with hard work and consistency you can make a good income for yourself.
66. How can I get a job as a student?
Being a student does not stop you from getting a job. You don’t have to wait till you graduate before you start looking for employment opportunities. If you are still studying, then you can find a job by doing the following:
Start volunteering: You can take up volunteering opportunities during your free time and holidays to boost your experience. Most volunteer jobs don’t require you to have any work experience, you can also be given stipends that you can use to supplement what you have already.
Apply for internship jobs: During the holidays, you can apply for internship opportunities. Internship opportunities allow you to build your work experience while you make some money for yourself.
Start freelancing: Freelancing is another way you can get work and make money while schooling. You don’t necessarily need to have a university certificate to do freelancing, you just discover what you can do that another person needs. Freelancing gives you time to balance your work and study.
Being a student does not limit you, in as much as you have acquired the skills that people need.
67. How can I create a good CV without stress?
As important as creating a good CV is to landing a job, it is one thing that many job seekers find difficult. Head your CV up with a short profile that summarises your offerings and persuades readers that you are a strong candidate for your target roles.
68. How can I tell I did poorly in an interview?
No doubt, the interview can be the most nerve-wracking aspects of the job search process because this when you finally get to put a face to the name(s) you must have heard.
Getting an interview invite usually feels like a level of job search success, but you may start to doubt the success when you wait a couple of days after the interview without hearing a word. This can be frustrating and we know you have wondered what the reason is.
Well, you may not know if you performed poorly in an interview, but these tips will help you know if you performed poorly:
a. If the interview ends up being shorter than you expect: When the interview is very short, there is a possibility that the employer does not see you as a potential candidate and does not want to waste any more time.
b. You meet with only one person or fewer people: If the first person you meet with does not see you as a good hire, then he/she might decide not to waste the time of others and just send you home.
c. You were not given details of the role/position: if you meet with the head of the department or the CEO and the person did not discuss the details of the role and what the company is doing, then it is a sign that you did poorly in the interview.
d. If the interviewer did not ask for your availability: If the interviewer did not ask you for your availability that the end of the interview, this may mean that the person does not see you as a great fit for the role.
e. If the interview has some concerns about your skills/experience: If the interviewer repeatedly asks you questions about your skills and work experience in a way that they express some negative concern, then that is a sign you should watch out for.
f. If you notice the interviewer energy is low: Sometimes, you can notice that the interviewer is not interested in you with the way they respond to you. If they show no form of excitement or happiness then maybe you are not a great fit.
69. Why don’t I get interview invites?
We have heard many job seekers complain about not getting an interview invite after sending out loads of job applications. Well, there are some reasons why you may not be getting interview invites for your applications. While you caused some, others are not entirely your fault.
Sometimes sending your applications late after seeing a job vacancy can limit your chances of getting a job. When some recruiters get the number of applications that they need, they don’t look at new ones coming.
Asides from recruiters not adding the expiry date of their job vacancy, there are some other reasons why you don’t get interview invites like:
- If you are not a good match for the position.
- If you are overqualified for the position.
- When you fail to follow application instructions.
- When you don’t send a cover letter when applying for the position.
- If you don’t have the right experience.
- If your CV is not tailored to the job that you applied for.
- If you don’t have the right skills (these days employers are more concerned about what you can do and not necessarily about your certificate).
There are several other reasons why you may not be getting interview invites, but most times employers reject candidates that they cannot find any value in. So if you want to get more interview invites, invest in building yourself and acquiring the right skills and experience.
70. How can I make a great impression during the interview?
To make a great first impression during the interview, you have to prepare before the day of the interview. Don’t wait till the day of the interview to impress your prospective employer, start preparing as soon as you get an invite.
To make a great impression during the interview, you have to:
- Research the company well to know what they are up to and how you can help them achieve their goal.
- Prepare intelligent questions to ask the interviewer during the interview.
- Study the job description and tailor your response to the “tell me about yourself” question.
- Show enthusiasm for the job.
- Study job interview questions and answers.
- Show up at the venue of the interview early.
- Greet anyone that you meet at the reception warmly.
- Dress like you have the job already.
- Engage with the recruiter during the interview by creating a connection.
These tips may not guarantee that you get the job, but at least they can help set your feet on the right path. Once your foot is on the right path, responding to tough interview questions will not be an issue for you.
71. How does LinkedIn help my Job search?
LinkedIn can help your job search in many ways that you may not even expect. Asides from providing you with a platform to network with people in your network, LinkedIn gives you the platform to find/follow companies and employers that you would love to work for.
According to the survey carried out by Jobvite, 87% of recruiters use LinkedIn as part of their candidate search. Since many employers use LinkedIn to find talents, so how can you position yourself to be found by recruiters.
These tips can help you take advantage of LinkedIn for your job search:
- Update your LinkedIn profile to get seen by more recruiters. (add a profile picture, etc.)
- Add your skills and work experiences.
- Update your headline regularly to reflect what you do.
- Let people know that you are available to work.
- Build your network (connect with more people because your connection can increase your exposure).
- Research the company you want to work for and follow them.
- You can use the advanced search option on LinkedIn to connect with employees in the company that you want to work for to find out useful information about the company.
These are some of the things that you can do to use LinkedIn as an aid to your job search.
72. How can I cope when I get rejected?
When it comes to searching for a job, rejection is one of the baggage that comes with it. Even when you think you are the perfect candidate for a position, employers may still reject you.
When you get rejected by an employer, don’t feel down or think that you are not good. It may just mean that you need to change your approach to your job search to appeal to the recruiter/employer that you would love to work with.
When you get rejected for a job, you should do the following:
- Ask for detailed feedback. It is good you know why you got rejected so you know what to work on.
- Review some of the things that the recruiter pointed out to you objectively without feeling bad.
- Concentrate on learning from the experience and then develop yourself to be a better person.
- Take note of the learning points and then use them to refine your search.
73. Do I need to study job assessment questions to get a job?
You may not need to study all the job assessment questions to get a job. The truth is that not all organizations use job assessment in their hiring process. Big companies mostly use job assessment when hiring to shortlist candidates easily.
Even if you are looking at getting a job with one of the big companies that use job assessment to recruit talents, the best approach is for you to study the questions to understand the logic behind the questions rather than memorizing the answers.
If you are new to job search, going straight to studying assessment questions may be a wrong move to make first. You should rather start with:
- Creating a good CV.
- Constructing an attention-getting cover letter.
- Acquiring in-demand skills that employers are looking for.
- Preparing for job interview questions and answers.
- Building a positive personality.
No knowledge gain is lost, but ensure you have checked off some job search boxes before studying job assessment questions.
74. How can I access jobs that are not advertised on job websites?
The key to accessing unadvertised jobs is networking. According to research, over 75% of available jobs are unadvertised and the only way to gain access to these jobs is to network with Family, friends, acquaintances, and colleagues that are open to these jobs.
It is not enough for you to network for the sake of it, you need to network the right way by:
- Connecting with industry experts and choice employers on LinkedIn.
- Join a professional network group (it can be a small group online or an alumni group).
- Connect with employers and contact them directly (you can contact an employer that you would love to work for directly and tell them what you can offer. Even if they don’t have an opening, you would be on the top of the list when an opportunity shows up).
- Attend meetups, seminars, and even career fairs.
There are amazing opportunities that you may not see on job boards. Opening yourself up to networking will open you up to even bigger opportunities.
75. How do I know a company is good for me before accepting the job?
Many job seekers are concerned about getting any job regardless of the company value, interest, etc. It may be easy for you to feel like all you need to do is to get a job to be able to pay your bills. The truth is that the moment you start working, you will start to notice other things that are involved.
Before you accept a job offer, you need to check the prospective company for the following:
- Check if you share the same purpose with the company.
- Check if the company culture is right for you.
- Check if it fits into your current life reality and daily schedule.
- Don’t stop at researching the company, dig into your prospective employer to understand what drives them.
- Understand the company’s value and see if it aligns with yours.
Before you accept a job offer, make sure you have researched the company to a point that you can say that the job is good for you.
76. How can I get a job that I love?
When we talk about getting a job that you love, many job seekers often think that we are talking about getting a job that will pay in 6-figures.
Everyone indeed wants to be well compensated for the work that they do, but the truth is that many people earn well, but are not happy with their jobs. These kinds of people remain in these jobs because of the pay.
How do you get a job that you love that will also pay you well?
The key to landing a job that you love is to discover yourself. You need to know what you want so that when you see something that looks like what you want, you would be able to recognize it.
77. Do employers use ATS?
Yes, companies use ATS even when many job seekers see it as a theoretical concept. The truth is that more than 90% of big companies make use of ATS to screen job candidates CVs. Many times, the CV that you send never get to the eyes of the employer.
Smaller companies have also started adopting the use of ATS in their recruitment processes. So, if you want to get noticed by these big companies, then you will have to make your CV ATS friendly.
Thankfully, making your CV ATS friendly is not a difficult thing to do, you just need to do some tweaks to your CV to make it highlight the things that the bot has been programmed to search for.
To beat the ATS, you have to:
- Use targeted keywords in your resume (you can use the job description as a guide)
- Avoid using graphics on your resume.
- Make use of standard headings in your CV.
- Cross-check your resume for grammar and spelling errors.
Whether or not your prospective employer makes use of the ATS. Always ensure you tailor your CV to the job by using buzz words included in the job description.
78. How do I know if a company pays well before the interview?
Well, most employers will not disclose the salary for a position before the interview, but you can still find out. If a company’s salary structure is one of the things you will consider before accepting a job offer, then you don’t want to waste time on a company with a low salary budget.
Even if a company does not want to disclose the salary for the position that you are applying for, you find out easily by searching for the company on mysalaryscale.com.
- MySalaryScale allows you to see how much employees in a particular company earn based on their position.
- It also allows you to see the average salary (mean salary for that company.
This information will give you an idea of what you would likely earn in the company. This can also influence your decision on whether you would honour the interview invite.
79. How can I negotiate a salary without under-valuing myself?
Many job seekers make the mistake of under-negotiating a job offer because they want to be modest or because they are desperately in need of a job. Regardless of how much you need a job, once you discover that you are underpaid you will not be happy doing the job.
To avoid being underpaid, you have to learn how to negotiate your salary well. Negotiating your salary well does not just happen; you have to prepare for it. To negotiate well, you have to:
- Find out your worth (know what other people in your job field earn).
- Find out what the company salary structure is like.
Asides from these two tips, you can ask the following questions when negotiating your salary:
- Is the offer negotiable?
- When should I respond?
- Can I get the description for the job?
- Can I get the details of the benefits?
These are some of the questions that can help you get started on negotiating your salary well.
80. How can I get a flexible job in Kenya?
Although remote work is still trying to gain popularity in Kenya, some companies in Kenya have adopted this mode of work as the new normal.
If you want to get a remote job in Kenya, you have to streamline your search even when you are searching on general job boards. Job boards like My Job Vacancies have remote job categories.
When you click on this job category, you will see the latest remote jobs in Kenya. You can also search LinkedIn to see available remote jobs in Kenya.
81. Can my personality stop me from getting a job?
Yes, it can. No matter how skilled or qualified you are for a position, the personality trait that you display during the interview can either help you get the job or stop you from getting the job. If your skills and qualification are all you need to land a job, then you should be offered a job after the recruiter views your CV.
Asides from your skills and qualifications, a recruiter wants to know the kind of person that they will be working with. Many recruiters value candidates that possess some soft skills, your demeanour can show that you possess the soft skill needed to thrive in the position.
Whether you are an introvert or an extrovert, you should know when to talk and when to be quiet during your interview. During your interview, you should be able to communicate your intentions clearly without being forceful and express your thoughts without raising eyebrows.
Employers are attracted to candidates that show: team spirit, great communication skills, and problem-solving skills. Etc.
82. Does dressing matter these days when attending a job interview?
Even if employers these days are more concerned about what you can do (your skills and experience), the way you dress when attending an interview still matters
Just like we said earlier, the recruiter will make some conclusion as regards your personality from the way that you dress. Even if you have the skills and your appearance does not show that you will be a great fit for the company, then your chances of getting a job are slim.
We know that many start-up companies don’t care so much about how you dress during the interview, but it is good to be safe because you may not be able to tell when your dressing will matter.
Putting on a simple and corporate cloth when attending an interview is always safe.
83. How can I impress a recruiter during a video interview?
Many job seekers think that because they have been scheduled for a video interview, then they don’t need to prepare as much as they would for an on-site interview.
Your video interview section is not the time for you to throw on anything because you are in the comfort of your home. If you want to impress your prospective employer during your video interview, then you have to prepare for it.
To prepare for your video interview, you have to:
- Ensure the camera, software, light, or any technical gadget that you will be using is functioning perfectly. You can test call to be sure everything is perfect before the time for the interview
- Ensure that your device can capture a clear image of you.
- Stay in a place where you can avoid being distracted by sounds or people moving about.
- Make sure you dress up as good as you would when attending a physical interview.
- Remember to make eye contact even though it is a video interview.
- Smile and give a positive outlook with your posture and mannerism.
- Practice job interview questions before the day of the interview.
- Don’t forget to ask the recruiter impactful questions.
84. How do I know a fit into a company before working there?
When you get a job offer you often feel like the battle is won. Yes, it is to an extent, but you also have to determine if you would like to work in that particular company because your satisfaction will determine how productive you will be.
Yes, you must have done your research and found out everything about what the company does publicly, but this is not enough for you to determine if the company would be a great place for you to thrive.
These tips can help you find out if you would fit into a company before working there:
- Connect with your prospective colleagues on platforms like LinkedIn and ask them questions.
- Do a test run of the work environment by requesting to join your prospective team members for a team brief before deciding to take the offer.
- Get to know your boss, ask useful questions that will give you an idea about their work-life, and how it will feel like to work with him/her.
- Interview outside sources to find out more about the company (consider talking to former colleagues, friends, and family members that know something about the company).
85. What is the best way to land an internship?
Gone are the days when landing an internship opportunity was a no brainer. Now, just like jobs, there is also stiff competition for internship positions even the unpaid ones. Sure running an internship program allows you to build your work experience, but how can you land one?
To land an internship opportunity, you need to:
- Check your resume to be sure you are presented in a positive light. Let recruiters know what you have done before that may be useful in the role that you are applying for.
- Construct a good cover letter, see how to write an internship cover letter here.
- Search and apply for only internship positions.
- Apply early as soon as you see an internship opportunity.
- Prepare well for the interview.
You can also learn about how you can land an internship opportunity by talking to other interns.
86. How do I decide on the job I should take when I have multiple job offers?
If you have been searching for a job and finally you got multiple offers. As satisfying as this may be, it can also be confusing because you want to make the best decision as to the particular job that you would choose.
When you are trying to choose between multiple job offers, you should not make your decision based on the salary or benefit packages. You can compare the offers based on the following:
- Paid time off
- Opportunities for growth
- Company values
- Health insurance
- Company culture
- Job security
Before you decide on the offer that you want to take, you should also take your time, ask for advice, and negotiate the offer to suit your needs.